Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Finding good supported living for your dependent young adult

(4 Posts)
justhetwoofus Sun 12-Aug-18 00:25:44

Anyone else feeling desperate about what it is out there for our young adults....I am the mum of an almost 24 year old son with complex needs....cerebral palsy...would love to settle him in a suitable place before I get too old and it’s an emergency situation....hoping to gain some info on’s my first time posting.

vjg13 Sun 12-Aug-18 07:44:26

My daughter is 20 and we plan to start looking. We would like her to move into the adult supported living at the college she attends when her course finishes in 2 years. I think standards vary hugely depending on area and of course local social services here will want the least expensive provision. We have two organisations, Together Trust and Independent Options that do manage supported living in individual households that I can think of.

Have you started looking? Any advice from your son's social worker?

GluteusMaximus00 Sun 12-Aug-18 11:11:22

Your son's social worker needs to start looking and assessments need to be done. I am experiencing similar difficulties with my 19 year old son, even though he is in a sheltered living environment.

vjg13 Fri 17-Aug-18 10:06:53

My daughter doesn't have a named social worker, it is just a pool of staff. Any tips from people who have recently been through this process?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: