Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

11 year old dd, ASD and periods

(7 Posts)
Lovemusic33 Tue 06-Feb-18 19:42:45

Hi, haven’t posted on the sn boards for ages, dd2 is almost 12, she started her periods just over a year ago at the age of 10. She has no awareness of hygiene and changing pads, I have to remind her and often have to do it for her. She attends a sn school but I have not discussed how they can help whilst she’s there (up until now most of her periods have been in half term/holidays). Her periods are really heavy and irregular, she goes months without one and then bang she’s bleed very heavenly, often ruining clothes, bedding and even her carpet.

I just wanted to know if there’s anythzing that can be done to maybe stop them? The injection possibly? Will a gp put a girl so young on contraception?

Also, is anyone at school allowed to help her change? She just needs someone to be with her to prompt her and make sure she does it correctly. She has just got her period tonight and is meant to be swimming Friday, she won’t understand why she can’t swim (I don’t want to go down the tampon route as she won’t be able to do them herself).

Any advice greatfully received.

lookingforbaubles Fri 09-Feb-18 19:55:54

when my dd with special needs started her periods we too found this on top of everything else just too much to cope with - she worried so much when the next one would start and told every one that she was bleeding!

our gp was lovely, dd was 12 at the time - she was put on the pill for one month and then they started with the injections, she has had very few moments of break thru bleeding so its been great

the only side effect has been some weight gain - and the future worry of her bone density, but day to day living was much improved

i went to the gp on my own first and talked thru the options, lovely female gp was on board straight away

Lovemusic33 Fri 09-Feb-18 23:20:58

Thank you, I’m taking her to the gp during half term to talk through the options, she can’t cope with them at the moment and her school isn’t helping other than giving her a social story.

lookingforbaubles Sat 10-Feb-18 13:06:55

ah the story books - my dd came home with one of a woman sat on the toilet with her pants round her ankles for about 17 pages on how to change a pad!

giggly Wed 07-Mar-18 09:45:10

Similar with my dd 12. I have looked at the "period pants" as she will put a pad on in the morning and not change it until I come home from work 8 hours later. Need to find the Link. Think they 're called Daisy.

SNschoolquery Sun 20-May-18 20:25:32

Following this for future reference as we are nearly at that stage.

Had no idea you could put them on the pill/injections etc. What a brilliant idea!

Bichonsrock Thu 21-Jun-18 11:00:22

Similar issue here with our 12 year old dd, big problem using pads as they "don't feel right". After a quick google I ordered several pairs of Thinx underwear from America, they can be worn alone and absorb 2-3 tampons worth of flow. They actually work! Then I found another company in England, Wuka pants, they are just as good and but cheaper as no import tax.
After a few periods she started teaching herself how to use tampons, I never thought she would manage that, but she has and is much happier now.
The pants are not cheap ( thank goodness for dla) but are an investment.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: