Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

How many of you work full time with no family support?

(4 Posts)
Notonaschoolnight Tue 23-Jan-18 17:50:33

As my dd with Downs has got older my working life has deteriorated firstly by moving into more family friendly roles doing work I hated but the hour worked to then gradually working less and less hours to the point we’re now I’m 40 odd working only 7hrs per week I’m really unhappy with that part of my life but it does work well for the rest of the family right now. Part of me would love a better job but with my husband all encompassing breadwinner job and absolutely no family help is it more trouble than it’s worth I’m hoping some of you will say you manage it and have tips on how

pollyhemlock Wed 24-Jan-18 18:35:14

It’s difficult! How old is your dd? Mine, also with Downs and various other issues, is now 27. I was working 7-8 hours a week until she was 9 when I got back into an 18.5 hour per week job, but could only manage this because her siblings were old enough to look after her for a bit after school and dh was in a job with good holidays. For the last 10 years or so( I am 63) I have been working 30+ hours, but this is possible a) because dh is retired and is there when dd comes back from day centre and b) because I work in local govt and they have a carer- friendly policy. Currently I am on a temporary full time contract, and find it a stretch to fit in dd’s medical appointments. My advice would be to hang on in there and keep some work going even if it’s not what you want to do long term,because hopefully you can build on that as time goes on and dd maybe needs you around less. Finding childcare for children with complex SEN can be really difficult, though. So no magic answers, but I do think that any work is good because it gives you something else to think about!

maggiso Sat 03-Feb-18 10:43:25

I don’t work FT but have recently been able to increase my hours because DH has semi retired, and can work from home on the days I now work. Ds has just turned 18 and is in a support unit within college 4 days a week. .i am not at all sure what will happen when he finishes college, but we were advised to think about applying for carer support in the form of direct payments to employ an assistant to accompany him whilst we work rather than give up work entirely. Would a carer assessment be an option for you?

iloveroastpotatoes Sat 10-Feb-18 22:04:00

Hello all of the above posters, have you ever considered a Shared Lives placement? Do you know if your local area has one? The scheme looks at placing adults who are unable to live independently in a family environment. The scheme recruits carers and monitors and supports those placements, please do have a look to see if this may may be of benefit for you. Placements can be long term, short term or respite. All the best. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now