Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

13yr old bed wetting? help please

(10 Posts)
mummyfour4 Fri 31-Mar-17 09:31:51

Hello, i have a 13 year old son who has been diagnosed with dyspraxia and also adhd. He gets lots of help with the school etc and he's doing good, apart from the occasional teen mood swings!
So the thing is he has always wetted the bed EVERY night without fail. About 2 years ago we went to see a nurse about it and went to a sort of clinic - we tried the lots of drinking water throughout the day - didn't work, then we tried waking him early hours - this didn't work either and last resort was the tablets - no these didn't work either.
So the nurse said it was very likely he would out grow this and explained about the hormone in the brain etc....so we have gotton to the point where he is now wetting through the dry nights aimed at children up to 15, his bed sheets are soaked through every night, his room stinks and its really hard work keeping on top of it all - he also currently shares a room with his little brother who is 4 (hopefully moving this year so he will have his own room) it doesn't seem to bother my son - he just gets a shower before school and off he goes.
I am planning on taking him back the doctors when they break up next week . Does anyone have any experience in this or can at least recommend some sort of pads that wont leak in the meantime?
Thanks

vjg13 Fri 31-Mar-17 10:56:14

My daughter has severe learning difficulties, I used a combination of the Desmomelts (vasopressin medication) and a bed wetting alarm with a sensor to stop her bed wetting. Neither worked on their own but using the alarm with initially the maximum dose of medication did. I tailed off the medication after the first few dry nights and kept the alarm going for about 2 weeks.

The whole process took just over 2 weeks. It was very hard to start with, the alarm wakes the child as they start to wee but I would wake first, grab her and rush to the toilet. The alarm seemed to train her brain and the medication meant there was less urine to deal with. Maybe worth trying?

vjg13 Fri 31-Mar-17 10:57:24

I think pad wise you probably need adult sized incontinence ones.

vjg13 Fri 31-Mar-17 10:58:24

One last point, I find the expert nurse at the bed wetting clinic useless and invented my own strategy.

mummyfour4 Fri 31-Mar-17 11:04:37

Thank you - will see if i can get an alarm myself, there was always a massive list to try one!! and didn't think of the adult pads, thank you for that smile

rizkhanjr Fri 31-Mar-17 20:40:10

You can use an alarm as vjg13 has recommended. In addition, having waterproof bedding also helps.
Try OneStopBedwetting for alarms and beddings.
Good luck!

rizkhanjr Fri 31-Mar-17 20:40:47

You can use an alarm as vjg13 has recommended. In addition, having waterproof bedding also helps.
Try OneStopBedwetting for alarms and beddings.
Good luck!

Theaprilfool Tue 04-Apr-17 18:34:04

Moilcare do very good pads.

rizkhanjr Sun 09-Apr-17 22:36:51

Check this link - onestopbedwetting.com/bedwetting-alarms-for-special-needs/
Should help you....

Shboogiebop Sun 30-Apr-17 10:01:59

My son had Desmomelts for a few years and they worked really well for him. Eventually he grew out of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now