Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ASD and not sleeping

(2 Posts)
queenofshihtzus Sun 26-Feb-17 10:48:57

Hi, please can anyone suggest anything?

My ds is 12 and he has high functioning ASD. He's well into puberty, voice broken etc and very moody. He's not great at sleeping, but lately it's much worse. Last night/this morning he was up until 12.30am, making various noises in his room saying he wasn't tired, Friday night it was at least 11.30. He's active, on Friday he had done Rugby and Hockey for an hour each. His room is dimly lit and until now I've said reading only in bed at 9.30pm. He has iPad etc but I've removed them for now completely as I feel they're stimulating him. He's awake at 7ish but won't get out of bed and then I'm struggling to get him into school without a meltdown.

It's bad enough him not sleeping but I also have a younger dd. He sometimes wakes her and he is so overbearing in his personality that she's struggling to deal with him. He's a very kind, gentle soul but he's bigger than me now so if he doesn't want to do something I can't make him.

Just for the record, I have no support at all. My mum died years ago and my dad is severely disabled. I have no one to ask for help. Dh is lovely but very laid back, he works long hours and leaves the loins share of child care/raising/decisions to me. I struggling to cope sad

Should I persevere? Or go to the GP? I've asked for a referral to CAHMS a few months ago as ds has severe anxiety and was self harming (stress due to secondary school transition). CAHMS wouldn't see him as they were overstretched and ds wasn't 'bad enough'.

Stopmakingsense Fri 03-Mar-17 22:37:50

I would go back to your gp - it may be the anxiety is getting in the way of sleep - and you can see how that would be a viscous circle. If you are worried and it is interefering with normal life then CAMHS need to know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now