Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Social Communication Disorder in teen dd

(2 Posts)
SasherinSuite Wed 20-Jul-16 14:11:21

Hi, I'm looking for some advice. This is likely to be long as I don't want to drip feed so please bear with me.

My 13 year old dd suffers from a chronic pain condition and has been under the care of GOSH. She hasn't coped well with her condition and things came to a head about 18 months ago when her mood swings became very violent and she started self harming. We got a referral to our local CAMHS but they told us she wasn't a risk. Things started to escalate and eventually GOSH managed to get them to reassess her. They diagnosed OCD, anxiety and depression and she started having fortnightly therapy with a counsellor. She was also prescribed fluoxetine by the Psychiatrist which has helped calm her mood swings but her depression and OCD is still bad. All this coincided with her starting secondary school and she is now finishing Y8. In that time she has never had ‘proper’ friends, just people that she hangs around the periphery of. She can be difficult to like as she has very set views on things and isn’t very tolerant of others. She also has little in the way of empathy. She’s told us she’s gay. She fell out with the only real friend she had because it was her she liked and she told her. Cue other girl freaking out and not wanting to have anything to do with her leading her to more self harm. Following a particularly bad episode she was seen by a psychiatrist at GOSH who thought she should be assessed for SCD due to some of her behaviours. We have done the forms and are waiting for the assessment. Certainly some of the characteristics seem to fit as she’s always found it difficult to make friends. But her speech etc is fine so I am confused. What does it mean? And how is it managed?

SasherinSuite Thu 21-Jul-16 14:26:08

bump

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now