Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.


(4 Posts)
LomoMum Tue 24-May-16 14:28:14

Hi All, I'm new to Mumsnet so please be gentle! smile

I have a 15 year old son who is currently awaiting an autism assessment but with family history and professional opinion its a cert.

- He has support in school but that's it, does anyone know of any other help that might be available prior to the assessment confirming.

- Also, I have heard that weighted blankets can help reduce anxiety and cannabis oil can help reduce autistic tendencies - does anyone have any experience of either of these.

And finally, how do you all cope?! I work full time and am just about keeping on top of the housework, buying groceries and getting all the forms etc returned. Callum comes first so he's taken care of.
So far this week I've cried at the postman, come to work in my slippers and lost my purse - how do you keep it all together there just aren't enough hours in the day!

Thank you for any advice you can give

Kleinzeit Wed 25-May-16 18:55:25

Hi LomoMum My DS was diagnosed a lot younger than yours and to be honest I didn't really keep it all together! I had been working part time but stopped working altogether while he was being diagnosed and for quite some time afterwards until he was feeling more settled and we had childcare etc set up. I spent some savings, then claimed DLA for DS and Carer's Allowance for myself which filled enough of the gap to keep me going until I was ready to go back to work. That isn't possible for everyone so if you are having to keep going at work then cut yourself some slack, do whatever you can to make your own life easier (could you get any compassionate leave?) and take care of yourself, and try not to worry if some stuff gets forgotten or goes a bit wonky.


Runningtokeepstill Wed 25-May-16 23:49:31

Is your ds getting support at school due to a statement or an EHCP? If not I'd be looking into that as 16+ education can be a bit of a minefield.

Be kind to yourself. Make time for activities you enjoy, even if it's something small.

QueenStreaky Sun 29-May-16 08:50:35

I agree with applying for EHCP if he doesn't already have one. You could also look on your LA's website for their Local Offer, which should signpost you to services available in your area that he might be able to access.

I appreciate how overwhelmed you must be at the moment (we've all been there!) but it would be worth your while to read the SEN COP 2015 so you have an understanding of the law, what you and your son might be entitled to and how to go about getting it. It's a big document at nearly 300 pages but definitely worth the effort.

Tbh a lot depends on how your son presents. It's hard to advise or signpost without that information. You definitely need to make space for your own needs because you're the lynchpin in all this - he needs you to be functioning at or near your best so you can do right by him.

One thing that's worth remembering is that there is very limited support out there and if general consensus is to be believed you're unlikely to get much help even after your son is diagnosed. You're essentially on your own so you'll need to find resources and services that suit your son's needs. I don't want to alarm you but that's just the way it is for most families.

Tony Attwood's Complete Guide is a very good read.

I'd also suggest you post again in SN Children for more info as this section doesn't get much traffic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now