Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Asperger's Syndrome - evidence for disability support at university?

(9 Posts)
Kleinzeit Fri 01-Apr-16 23:36:18

DS is 17 and has an Asperger's diagnosis. He went through mainstream primary school with a lot of support then by the time he got to upper primary school he needed less suport and after his first year at secondary school (when he had a major wobble) he has been coping successfully with no TA support at all. So he's doing really well. But of course he still has an ASC and the difficulties that go along with it.

So, in September he will be off to university. He put his Asperger's diagnosis on the UCAS form, and we've heard from the disability services at the universities he is intereseted in. They offer introductions to university life before term starts for students with ASCs, support, etc. and they suggest he applies for DSA. But this is where it gets tricky. For DSA and for support from the universities, he needs recent formal evidence of his diagnosis. But we don't have any! He was diagnosed at 6. CAMHS discharged him three years ago (and they only stayed in contact for that long because I insisted). We don't claim disability benefits any more and the school educational psychologist hasn't been involved with him for years either.

So how do we prove his Asperger's Syndrome? Who do we ask? How do we go about it? Has anyone else gone through this process?

NoHaudinMaWheest Sat 02-Apr-16 17:03:48

I have exactly the same problem. Ds has other issues and I have recent evidence for them but nothing for his ASD.
I have asked the disability service at his chosen university what evidence they need but not had a reply yet. However I am fairly sure that at an open day they said a letter from the GP would do. (Not that the GP knows anything whatsoever about his ASD.)

Kleinzeit Sat 02-Apr-16 17:16:46

Thanks for that NoHaudinMaWheest - I think I'll give the uni disability service a call next week. GP would be easiest, certainly!

LIZS Sat 02-Apr-16 17:18:57

We've got to arrange a post 16 assessment for ds' dyspraxia.

Kleinzeit Sat 02-Apr-16 17:28:33

They seem to put dyspraxia and ASCs under different headings though, or at least the DSA form seems to say that ASCs need medical confirmation. It's all so complicated!

There's a thread on AIBU complaining about parents helicoptering their kids through university, well my DS is fine at academic work but he gets anxious trying to wrestle with forms and bureaucracy and that includes university SN bureaucracy. It does my head in, never mind his!

NoHaudinMaWheest Sun 03-Apr-16 01:25:12

Haven't seen that AIBU thread but my ds will definitely need support (not helicoptering) through university.

Dyslexia needs a post-16 assessment too but I have already sorted that. I didn't realise that dyspraxia was put into that category as well. It doesn't seem very logical at all.

TheDrsDocMartens Sun 03-Apr-16 07:21:36

Try a letter from the GP, they accepted that for my condition(not ASC)

Kleinzeit Mon 02-May-16 18:01:28

Just checking back in to say thank you to everyone for suggestions. I spoke to the university's disbilities office and they said a letter from the GP would be fine although they'd really like more detailed information so they can give advice.

We now have a letter from the GP confirming DS’s diagnosis. Cost £25 to get it but never mind!

HarHer Sun 08-May-16 07:32:50

Hello,

I used to work in disability related support in further education and we had many requests. We would often advise young people to gain a letter from their GP. I would also advice the young person to ask the Disability Support Service at the university if your son could come for some additional (transition related) visits to the campus. Also, make sure your son knows where to go for support and if he could be introduced to someone who he could turn to if he had any problems, you could have a point of contact too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now