Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Dyspraxia

(6 Posts)
CheeseBagette Sat 28-Nov-15 14:14:10

Can Dyspraxia just be limited to really poor organisational skills?

My 15 year old son doesn't show many of the typical markers of poor gross motor coordination.

However, at his recent target setting evening at school, the teacher has said that he has severely struggled since starting secondary school with organisational issues. There has been a long history of detentions for homework not done, lost exercise books etc. At home, I have to remind him on a daily basis to clean teeth and shower, otherwise I think that he would genuinely forget to do them.

Wonder if this is likely to be dyspraxia or not as he doesn't have any major coordination issues. He is quite good at sport, running. His handwriting is ok (not brilliant).

AdjustableWench Sat 05-Dec-15 21:15:16

Two of my kids have dyspraxia, and one is much more affected in terms of organisational skills than the other. She doesn't present as obviously dyspraxic (somewhat clumsy but not excessively so). But she took a long time to learn to catch a ball for example. She absolutely cannot keep track of her school books or homework.

Can you ask the school or your GP for a referral to get an assessment?

BCBG Sun 06-Dec-15 21:12:06

Have a very dyspraxic teen and while its unlikely to be 'limited' to organisational skills its possible that in other areas of his life he has developed coping skills that mask difficulties: many dyspraxics get diagnosed only once they have started to run into problems at senior school. Dyspraxia Foundation is a great source of info.

Pixel Tue 26-Jan-16 17:07:12

My daughter sounds very like your son, VERY poor organisational skills, remembering hygiene etc. She's not particularly sporty but she's not the clumsiest person either (she does the wii fit better than I do), and her typing is amazing. Handwriting not fantastic (and she is very slow) but she is doing an art course at the moment so manages that.
Anyway, the point of my ramble is, she was referred by GP for assessment for possible aspergers, the appointment was yesterday. Upshot is aspergers traits but not enough for a diagnosis, BUT she has been diagnosed with dyspraxia. So on balance I'd say, yes, it could be possible.

CheeseBagette Wed 10-Feb-16 22:13:28

Thank you all. Your comments are very illuminating. I will make enquiries about getting DS assessed and will let you know how we get on.

cinnamontoast Wed 17-Feb-16 18:40:16

I don't think there is a blueprint for dyspraxia, just certain markers. My DS has dyspraxia, combined with Asperger's. Cannot tie shoelaces, is terrible in the kitchen (e.g. chopping an onion), struggles with anything that requires him to be hands on with both hands at once, has spatial awareness issues, organisational issues etc etc. His handwriting is painful to watch.

BUT, he can touch type really fast and he has really good hand to eye coordination. In private tuition for swimming, tennis and hockey, all his coaches said that he had no problem mastering the skills required. The trouble is, he never wanted actually to play a game of tennis/hockey, he just really enjoyed the coaching.

A lot of dyspraxic children can master fine motor skills but they need to be shown what to do and they need repeated practice.

Daniel Radcliffe is dyspraxic, apparently, and still cannot tie his shoelaces. Presumably he can afford to hire someone to tie them for him!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now