Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

18 year old son. ...aspergers and adhd

(15 Posts)
cazzymog Sun 07-Jun-15 10:19:40

Hi all. Only recently joined on here I'm hoping someone may have some advice on where we go next! My son was diagnosed adhd and aspergers struggled though school then went to college to study IT at first he loved it then started messing around and ended up having to finish the course from home due to inappropriate behaviour. With the course now nearly over I'm wondering where we go from here regarding employment and support? Maybe I've not tried hard enough but I just don't know where to go for support for him. The College Senco inferred she would still support him and he agreed he needs help ( can get very angry, obsession with viewing porn currently too ) but we have heard no more from her. Where do we go for help for him? No support from ooutside agencies since primary school. He is very talented with IT and would like to do It tech support but how he may come across in an interview! ! He will chat for England to start with. He has had a couple of supermarket shelf stacking interview without success . But shop work wound be difficult for him anyway as the bright lights and noise would be too much. He would be very good at it tech support but how to get in the door in the first place! Sorry it's so long. Any advise from anyone in simular situations greatly appreciated. Many thanks

EE123 Sun 07-Jun-15 11:00:49

Does he qualify for support under AMHS?

cazzymog Sun 07-Jun-15 12:53:44

I'm hoping so. Though we never had any involvement from Cahms. Its knowing how to access support. I'll contact them. Thank you.

streakybacon Sun 07-Jun-15 19:26:43

Does he have a statement or EHCP? If he has a statement you can request a transfer to EHCP, if not you could request a full assessment of his needs and go from there. EHCP goes up to 25 so he'd definitely qualify for support.

cazzymog Mon 08-Jun-15 00:18:02

He had a statement at school yes. I'll check out the transfer to EHCP. Thank you

streakybacon Mon 08-Jun-15 07:05:50

Even with a statement, he should have had a Learning Difficulties Assessment (Section 139a) to ensure support at college. I'd look into that and ask for it to be reviewed or convert to EHCP. You will need to be firm and clear that his needs aren't being met and he's not being prepared for adulthood.

As he has a statement, legally he'd come under the 2001 SEN COP here, but it's also worth looking at the current COP for 2014 here which shows how young people should be supported up to age 25.

cazzymog Mon 08-Jun-15 15:53:38

Thank you for the info. I don't know who to contact as a starting point as college said he could choose to finish course at home or be chucked out due to some behaviour issues. So they have pretty much ed washed their hands of him. I guess I could contact the second there for advise.

cazzymog Mon 08-Jun-15 15:55:24

Senco! Silly predicted text!

streakybacon Mon 08-Jun-15 16:13:50

You could also speak to your SEN team at the LA. If you were to request an EHCP assessment (or your son actually, as he's over 16), they would administrate it so they'd be your first port of call for the request.

It sounds as though he's been let down by the college and the old system. Does he have a Connexions advisor (or equivalent - I believe the service has changed its name in some areas)? They would have been responsible for maintaining the 139a under the old SEN system so you could enquire there, too.

cazzymog Mon 08-Jun-15 18:02:43

Thank you very much streaky bacon for the info. He hasn't had any support at all since leaving school.probably didn't help that he went to school out of catchment for senior school. I will contact my la sen team tomorrow and hope to get some support! Thanks again

doreen144 Fri 06-Nov-15 13:15:53

Hello to mums with children with ADHD. I am new on here,so not quite sure how it works. My son was diagnosed with ADHD when he was 10 years old. He is 11 years old now and he's been struggling with his problems since he was 4 years old. We had several agencies involved but nothing seems to work for my son.My son has started high school now and he still doesn't want to go to school.He gets scared outside he won't leave the house(not even for enjoyable activities). Get scared inside the House two.He will only go out with me. My son has no friends coming round and he doesn't go to any friends in fact he hasn't even got any friends. Doesn't even get invited to birthday parties. My son is the only child and I think it's important for him to have contact with children outside of school. I was just wondering if there are any other parents with similar problems that we can talk together and give each other advice. Kind regards Doreen

QueenStreaky Fri 06-Nov-15 18:53:42

Hello Doreen. This section of MN doesn't get much traffic so you might get more views if you post in SN Children or SN Chat, especially given the age of your son. Might be best to start a new thread, too. (ps I'm streakybacon but with a name change).

doreen144 Sat 07-Nov-15 10:09:34

Thank you very much QueenStreaky. I am new on here and I have dyslexia so I find it hard to do this but my sister suggested to go on here to see if it would help my son and me.And this is so upsetting for my son and I am struggling with my son and it's really getting to my whole family to see my son so upset. I will try what you said but not quite sure yet how to do it. Kind regards Doreen

QueenStreaky Sat 07-Nov-15 10:18:25

Don't worry, Doreen - there are some very understanding people on the SN boards, many of whom have SN themselves so they will be supportive.

This link will take you straight to SN Chat and you can start a new thread from there smile.

doreen144 Fri 18-Dec-15 16:44:22

Hi,QueenStreaky sorry I haven't got back to you. Because of Big problems trying to get my son to school and staying at school.Thank you very much for your help. I think I'm on there, because I have got quite a positive response and it's really helping to help my son. Thank you again. kind regards Doreen

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: