Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Period help please

(12 Posts)
FiveHoursSleep Sun 03-May-15 20:11:21

My 11 year old DD has ASD ( high functioning, at mainstream academic school) and started her period in January. Pads are not working for her, she is bleeding through 2-3 changes of clothes a day.
I'm trying to get her to try tampons but she has tried applicator and non applicator ones and doesn't seem to be able to insert them.
She says she has read instructions but it always ends up with her raging and screaming sad
If you have a DD with ASH who uses tampons, was it a problem for her? Did anything help?

Piratejones Thu 07-May-15 16:26:49

I haven't got a daughter with ASD but would you be able to use the hand over method (You guiding her hands) and teach her that way?

PolterGoose Sun 10-May-15 12:34:26

Is she bleeding through pads because her periods are very heavy, she's not changing them often enough, or perhaps they're not absorbent enough or not sitting right in her knickers?

I would try to work out why first and then explore solutions.

FiveHoursSleep Sun 10-May-15 13:32:11

I don't think they are sitting right. She's not bleeding that heavily and she tells me she is changing them every couple of hours.

APMom Sun 10-May-15 22:03:20

My 15 yr old only got her last year and bleeds through everything constantly. I have to keep reminding her th change her pads every 2-3 hours. She tells me she's changed them but she hasn't. I also had to tell her to put a pad and knickers on straight after a shower, she didn't think of it.

sazale Thu 14-May-15 23:48:58

My daughter struggled with everything to do with periods and the only thing that worked for her was using the discreet tena lady pants.

muggins14 Wed 27-May-15 13:26:27

My daughter has to be helped to change hers as she only uses one hand, she is struggling with the whole concept of periods, I find it easiest when the period's heaviest to use a night-time long winged pad to get the most coverage as possible in the first couple of days.

Snowfire Wed 27-May-15 20:22:14

My Dd has (undiagnosed) Aspergers and was quite similar to your dd until I changed her to washable pads. They sit in her pants better don't ruck up and get stuck to her leg. She 'forgets' to change them but they seem to do a better job than the disposables. There's a lovely teenage girl who has her own YouTube channel called precious stars pads who makes them

goinggrey1978 Thu 13-Aug-15 12:56:22

i have a friend with a daughter with SEN, in the end she her to change the pads every time she used the toilet, luckily she uses the toilet regularly and again she provides her with the long night time pads for the first few days to stop leakages and has found this works along with feminax for the pain too

frazzledbutcalm Thu 27-Aug-15 21:51:34

Dd1 is now 16. She started her periods at 12. She too leaked through constantly, but her periods are very heavy. If your dd is not bleeding heavily then I imagine she's not changing often enough or the pad isn't in the right place. My dd has only wanted to use tampons for the past 3 months, before then she just absolutely could not even think of that. She hasn't found them easy to use (applicator definitely better though), in the early days she could only insert 1 in every 4 or 5 that she tried. Now though, she can insert almost every time she tries. Maybe your dd is not ready for tampons yet? I'd maybe focus on different pads, how they fit etc to begin with and move to tampons when she asks/is ready.

flowers for both of you.

Bumblebee1980 Sat 31-Oct-15 02:21:59

My friend's disabled daughter uses a moon cup. They do require scrupulous hygiene but need changing far less frequently.

rwilkinson84 Fri 15-Apr-16 16:31:56

I'd try and see if there are any issues with the absorbency of the pads she is using and how often she is changing them before you try tampons. I couldn't use tampons until I'd had sex - I know it's not the same for everyone but maybe as PP has said her body just isn't ready for tampons?

If she's not been having periods for too long then it may well be something that settles down over time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now