Advanced search

Does carers allowance stop if ds gets ESA

(13 Posts)
eatyourveg Sat 31-Jan-15 16:52:31

Sw has suggested ds (18 ASD/LD) should apply for ESA. She seems to think it would kick in in May when he turns 19 and the CB stops. Reading the gov website I have ascertained (but could be wrong) there are two bits to ESA and I have no idea which bit applies to ds. I may be reading the whole thing wrong though

Anyone know if carers allowance is affected at all by esa?

Becca19962014 Sun 01-Feb-15 00:48:45

You read right there are two parts to ESA. Basic rate and then either work related group (involves working towards work e.g. Courses/work experience) and sanctions to benefit if they aren't done and support group which requires no work activity. The DWP decide on the basis of the form and probably medical which group your son would go in. ESA is regularly reassessed so best to fill in an online form and print and save ready for reapplication.

The online form is here
ESA claim form

Carers allowance would stay the same, but your son wouldn't get the disability premiums that can come with ESA.

Hope that helps.

eatyourveg Sun 01-Feb-15 08:45:24

So if I gave up carers allowance, he would get more esa? Are the disability premiums for the most severely disabled? ds could do voluntary work if it was an appropriate setting or maybe 2/3 days supported employment so probably wouldn't qualify.

Thanks for the link

Becca19962014 Sun 01-Feb-15 13:49:56

If he doesn't qualify for ESA then he applies for JSA but you are expected to look for work all week and there are strict rules to enable you to keep getting the money.

Do you have a citizens advice bureau or similar near you? Could you ask them for advice about your DS situation? They would be able to give accurate information regarding the carers allowance as well (I'm not a benefits advisor or anything and they know all about benefits).

Good luck.

Becca19962014 Sun 01-Feb-15 13:52:49

The disability premiums are linked to DLA, I forgot to say that sorry!

eatyourveg Sun 01-Feb-15 15:10:12

thanks thats really helpful - I will fill in the form and see what happens

Becca19962014 Sun 01-Feb-15 15:15:29

Do get some help with the form, don't try and do it alone. I don't mean that patronisingly, though it sounds that way, it's important as with help you have a much better chance of success without appeals etc.

Your social worker may be able to help or perhaps citizens advice or do an Internet search there are plenty of helpful guides online.

You may also want to try asking about claiming ESA on money matters on MN there are much more knowledgable people about it on there than me.

eatyourveg Sun 01-Feb-15 15:54:11


bigbluebus Sun 01-Feb-15 18:47:14

I was under the impression that Carers Allowance is linked to Middle/Higher rate of DLA. It has nothing to do with ESA.
DD gets both Higher rate DLA & ESA (and has done since she was 16). Have never had to reapply for CA.

Becca19962014 Sun 01-Feb-15 22:53:13

It is linked to DLA. But if you have mid/high care and no one is claiming carers allowance the person claiming ESA gets an extra premium ( the carers allowance money is paid to ESA claimant and called a disability premium).

eatyourveg Mon 02-Feb-15 08:19:06

ds gets mc and lm dla and I get ca so he wouldn't get the premium bit. So all I need to work out now is if it is in his interest for me to give up ca so that he gets the premium - though of course they could be exactly the same.

haribofreak Mon 02-Feb-15 18:27:52

There are three types of disability premium, all depend on the different rates of DLA but the severe disability premium has an additional requirement that no one claim's carer's allowance for that person, and they have to live alone. If your DS is living with you (or any other adult) then he wouldn't be eligible for it anyway, so there is no need to give up CA as it still wouldn't mean he could get the SDP (unless he was living alone).

There is also the disability premium (paid for getting any DLA rate) and an enhanced disability premium (paid for getting HRC DLA or ESA support group). He could get both of these ESA premiums regardless of you getting CA.

eatyourveg Mon 02-Feb-15 20:14:04

omg its complicated! - think I'm going to get the local autistic trust's benefits advisor to do the whole thing with me

thanks to all for the info

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: