Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

AS and Poor Handwriting/Presentation

(6 Posts)
BaconAndAvocado Fri 21-Nov-14 22:45:44

16 yo DS with AS is at 6th form and at Parents Evening I was told that his presentation is really letting him down. It is very very untidy.

How can I help him?

Tia

streakybacon Sat 22-Nov-14 09:14:59

Can he type? A lot of people with autism and similar conditions find handwriting difficult so using a keyboard can make life easier. My son (also 16) has ADHD as well and it helps him to organise his thoughts. Eg he can answer essay questions better if he can write the conclusion first, then maybe some of the key points, and his introduction last. He finds it hard to write in the right order, iykwim.

He also has hypermobility in his hands - could that be an issue for your son? Does it hurt when he writes?

I'm surprised school haven't drawn attention to this earlier, tbh. If he uses a keyboard routinely he'd have one for exams, as it will be his 'normal way of working' and that's what JCQ ask for.

Btw, when my son's handwriting problems were assessed age 12 it was suggested that it was too late then to correct ingrained habits so there was no point in remedial exercises. Keyboards are the way to go.

BaconAndAvocado Sat 22-Nov-14 10:37:14

Thanks streaky

DS has just started 6th form at a grammar school, he sat his GCSEs at a high school and he did use a computer for his exams except Maths.

We have decided to do a short handwriting exercise every night.

He can write in a clear style but it's printed rather than cursive which could potentially slow him down, especially in an exam.

streakybacon Sat 22-Nov-14 11:00:50

I'd still pursue the keyboard. Does the new grammar school know he had a computer for GCSEs? Is he allowed to use one for coursework? There's little point in slowing him down if he can function better by typing. Also, he's going to have a lot more written work as his A levels progress and even more at university, so he might as well get used to a method that suits him now.

BaconAndAvocado Sat 22-Nov-14 21:20:58

Will be speaking to his Maths teacher next week so will discuss using a computer then.

TheFirstOfHerName Sat 22-Nov-14 21:22:43

DS2 is only in Y8 but is already getting marked down for poor handwriting and presentation. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now