Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Private assessment for ASD anyone?

(4 Posts)
DeepDeepDown Mon 03-Oct-11 11:43:00


I realise the local LEAs do their own assessments/diagnosis', but what if you're prepared to look further afield (out of your LEAs zone) for your child's education??

I'm thinking a private assessment (for ASD DS, 13) with someone who has a good coverage of schools/LEAs (whether mainstream/special/public/private) would be able to point us in the right direction (without bias).

Am I wrong? Has anyone had a private assessment?

Hoping someone can help and many thanks for any responses!

daisysue2 Mon 07-Nov-11 11:44:28

Go to your GP and ask for a referral, when my dd was 7 it was through Paediatrics, but she was also seen by CAMHS. Your GP is the starting point for a medical diagnosis though as it's nothing to do with the LEA.

anon1111 Fri 02-Dec-11 22:24:59

I went to the GP to try and discuss what I believe to be Asperger's in my 10 year old son. He told me that I have to go through the school. He couldn't do anything unless the school said that they wouldn't do anything. I'm very confused. I assumed that a doctor would be the place to go to discuss what I consider to be a 'medical' issue!

PostingByStealth Tue 24-Apr-12 23:42:15

Just looking through old posts & I wondered How Anon & DeepDeep had got on with assessments for your children?

I'm going through the process myself for my son.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now