Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Learning disabled dd(aged ten) started periods- help!

(6 Posts)
WasntExpectingThat Wed 25-May-11 16:03:16

What next?

I don't want to give too many identifiers, as I post regularly on MN and it feels odd to be discussing something so personal to my daughter (not that she would understand, but...)

Anyway, she is quite severely disabled, and has no understanding about bodies etc. I still haven't managed to get her out of nappies at night, and her toileting is very hit and miss during the day- I have no idea where to begin with periods. School called me just now to say they think she has started, but the nurse had already left.

I'm not even sure what I'm asking really. I suppose I'll need to see her paediatrician and ask if there are meds to reduce/stop periods, as she won't be able to manage them herself.

Does anybody have any words of advice to share? I really wasn't expecting this so soon- she's only ten sad

HRHShoesytwoesy Wed 25-May-11 16:13:13

I was told by dd's pead that they could do things to stop it(so far she has been ok, she is 16 and has cp) i think it is quite common for our young people to start early, sorry I can't offer much advice as dd is now continent and has been able to accept it all, but would advise seeing the pead and getting advice.

Smlo Thu 26-May-11 10:48:41

would this be any help? www.me-and-us.co.uk/ppg/index.html
or here www.netbuddy.org.uk/get-tip/health-hygiene/toilet-issuesperiods/

agree you should talk over with your paed. However, we've been told by endocrine consultant that periods from age 8 is normal and not considered precocious.

We haven't got to period stage yet and dd is a lot younger but its kinda on our radar iyswim. Agree its bloody cruel (no pun intended). The one area you don't partcularly want to deal with being the only thing dd is actually ahead of the game (let alone doing on time) When development in every other area is soooo behind.

Wasntexpectingthat Thu 26-May-11 16:23:28

Thank you both very much for your help- it is much appreciated.

chinax Mon 30-May-11 15:31:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

colditz Mon 30-May-11 15:33:38

She doesn't need to manage it herself, it is part of her disability that she is unable to and the school will have to provide someone to help her.

Regarding managing it at home - get the long Always pafds with wings. They are nice and absorbant and so won't cause too many leaks

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: