Talk

Advanced search

How/ when to talk to your child about their potential SEN

(3 Posts)
lifecouldbeadream Mon 14-Jan-19 21:21:56

Just that really, we are (late) starting on a diagnosis for our son. He’s 10 and old enough to know that he’s being asked to talk about/ do tests that others aren’t. Do we wait till diagnosis- or do we tell him now? We aren’t sure what his diagnosis is likely to be.

FTM01 Sat 27-Apr-19 12:52:10

Hello, my DD was diagnosed day before yday with ASD. But we were advised by her developmental paediatrician who did the ADOS assessment, not to provide the label to my DD as that may limit her and she may end up using that as an excuse sub consciously to limit herself. Instead focus on the difficulties of ASD like social thinking and address those I individually. Hope this helps

stucknoue Sat 18-May-19 21:51:14

Just talk to him in a matter of fact way. My dd was diagnosed just before 3 and she actually spoke out to her class at 10 about what it feels like to be different and to be autistic, we had never discussed it with her, she diagnosed herself via the internet we later found out! Kids know how they feel and by 8 or so they need to be part of the process

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »