Talk

Advanced search

Meltdowns are tearing our family apart!

(3 Posts)
Donthugmeimscared Fri 14-Sep-18 21:14:55

My 10yr old is not diagnosed with anything it has been mentioned that he has lots of autism traits but as he behaves at school I get either told his behaviour is due to me or he's fine. He can't cope with changes and has no empathy for any one. He was 8 when he stopped wetting himself during the day and has only just stopped at night. He has lots of quirks but my biggest problem is his meltdowns. They can go on for hours and he is inconsolable. He break things and hurts people.

I was given a leaflet telling me that I should just put him in a room and how things can be replaced but not people but I am poor and can't afford to replace things like doors and other things. It's also not fair on his brother who shares with him.

It's getting so bad that it's affecting my other two children. My dd 13 has started self harming and my younger son just cries when he gets like it. I don't know what to do. the drs pass it to the school and the school say it's not their problem. I just don't know what to do.

Donthugmeimscared Fri 14-Sep-18 22:05:24

anyone?

MumUnderTheMoon Fri 21-Sep-18 00:49:56

Go back to your gp and do not leave until he/she makes the referral to child psychology and a paediatrician (they are the gateway to most assessments) your gp legally cannot refuse to make the referral but most get around this by trying to put you off. If I'm honest it sounds like the other two kids could benefit from psychological services if they have been left distressed by the situation. Don't shout or be aggressive but be firm. " I am here to get a child psychology referral for my kids and a paediatric referral for my son. This cannot continue any longer so make the referral now please" do not be fobbed off back to school the issues aren't educational they are domestic.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: