Talk

Advanced search

Should I get a social worker?

(4 Posts)
Nangobi Fri 01-Sep-17 08:20:17

My son is 22 and has autistic tendencies. He's unemployed and we're struggling to find suitable employment for him.
He's become quite depressed recently as he sees others going on with their lives.
We're wondering if a social worker could help in this type of situation.
We also have some concerns about the future when we're not around, a matter which has begun to trouble our son greatly, so wondered if anyone here could advise?
Thank you.

Malga Sun 03-Sep-17 12:55:23

Hi, have you reached out to the national autistic society? They will have an outreach worker for your area and can hopefully offer done ideas? I don't know if a SW would help, we have one but to be honest it has not helped, although the SW is putting pressure on the LEA to find a suitable school setting.
What about getting your son onto a course to help his CV or asking companies if they are willing to take on an intern so your son can gain some experience?

Nangobi Sun 03-Sep-17 16:12:41

Thank you for your reply. A couple days after I posted we managed to get our son on a course. Well, hopefully, we'll know more tomorrow.
Thank you for suggesting the NAS, I'll get in touch with them.

Samellahi23 Tue 12-Mar-19 22:46:49

Hi I have a son who is 5years old goes to a special school, he has globel development dealy, at school he is totally different to the way he is at home I've told the teacher's I can't take him out as he gets very anxious an scared when in new environment he just wants to run away or starts to say home home he don't like being around alot of people or lots of noise when he comes back from school he will kick his shoe an sock off from one foot he bites on his hands an chews his cloths an puts other objects in his mouth an teacher's are saying he don't do any of this in school I realy think he is autistic like my other two children which are older then him can you please give me some advice on what I can do or who can help me

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: