Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child has special needs. If you have any serious concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP or other suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN

My son hits me

(2 Posts)
Ptolemy123 Tue 01-Nov-16 08:13:45

This morning my 8 year old son has attacked me, because I tried to get him in the shower.
Im covered in scratches and bruises. He has ADHD and attends a special school. We have tried visual clues, nurturing, distractions, medication, everything.
We also self referred to CAMHS and to SS. CAMHS have said that he is just incredibly impulsive and so he needs to learn to control that. SS assessed us and said they couldn't offer us any help.
I don't think I can take any more of this being hit. Has anyone else been in this situation?

freemanbatch Wed 09-Nov-16 17:56:20

I have this with my eldest when she's in periods of distress and I find that it's all about self defence and calm.

I use my arm to block her and push her away just enough for me to move away from her. I never turn my back, always making sure I can see what she's doing so that I am not caught off guard. Turning her around and holding o to her arms across her chest to stop her hitting whilst speaking calmly to her sometimes helps her calm down.

I was advised against raising my voice or instructing her to stop and this can cause a stand off with things getting worse and worse. Instead I calmly and quietly ask her to stop while using the self defence strategies to keep myself safe.

It's awful when your kids take their feelings out on you but the less you can react to it and the quicker you can move on afterwards (without holding a grudge or being upset at him) the better as, when they calm down, the kids feel bad enough about what they've done and the guilt can feed into a repeat situation.

Be good to yourself, and to your son, you will come through it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now