Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child has special needs. If you have any serious concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP or other suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN

DS (12) with aspergers, I'm not coping.

(2 Posts)
totorosmum Mon 13-Oct-14 09:29:40

I'm not sure if this is the right place, but have come to accept that I need some support. My son is 'mild' on the aspergers spectrum, but I'm having difficulties with him. We cope with day to day life ok, but he is just so negative; he wont do anything (such as have a walk) without persuasion and makes all activities with his two younger siblings miserable. I've suggested all activities you can think of for him to try, he just says no immediately, but then is cross at me for being bored every weekend.

I know a lot of you face much more serious problems, but could anyone recommend a mums support group?

Bodley Mon 03-Nov-14 17:51:54

Where are you totorosmum? Don't apologise, it is very hard sometimes. Have you joined NAS? They have local support groups which have been helpful for me. Am sure you have, but have you tried preparing him in advance for new activities, photos, etc, and putting emphasis of trip on something he enjoys? My son will sometimes do something new if it involves a train journey/ visit to a station, for example. It is hard sometimes, I know. My younger son has just learnt to grit his teeth and get on with it when big one demands to go home because it's the wrong sort of park/not the right bus journey/too busy etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now