Talk

Advanced search

Elvanse advice please

(4 Posts)
Sparkle1985 Thu 02-Oct-14 21:33:29

My son is 9 and has just been diagnosed with add. The doctor wants to out him elvanse 30mg has anyone else had experience with this medication?
I'm worried about the weight loss as my son is already quite slim and also worried about the effects it's going to have on him. A few reviews have mentioned a come down?
Also doctor said he only needs to take it when he goes to school so weekends and holidays he doesn't have to but will this mess his system up keep stopping and starting it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm really worried and so unsure as what to do for the best really.

MrsT1303 Thu 29-Dec-16 16:11:44

Hello, my child has been prescribed this, started taking today. May I ask how your son got on with it please?

Strix Tue 01-Jan-19 10:48:07

I have two sons with ADHD. My 8 year (DS2) old takes Concerta XL and my 13 year old started Concerta XL, but then moved to Elvanse because he thought Concerta was aggravating his already existing tendency to tics. He takes 40 mg Elvanse. Id say the elvanse suits him better because it lasts longer. Both of these medicines have absolutely changed all of our lives for the better. They have both lost weight, but still with in normal range. The biggest difference is they don't eat the crap served at school. I require substantial breakfast and dinner so they get enough nutrition. To be honest, my older one had an implusive junk food habit and the appetite suppression has done wonders to kurb that problem.

Strix Tue 01-Jan-19 10:49:56

Sorry, forgot to address the weekends. Both boys take medicine 7 days a week. I think it calms them down and improves their quality of life, so we give it every day for their own benefit.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »