Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child has special needs. If you have any serious concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP or other suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN

Norwich Area- 9 yr old girl- support group

(2 Posts)
humptyhoo Tue 22-Jul-14 12:26:53

Hello,

I have a lovely 9 year old girl with high-functioning autism/ Aspergers (depending on which doc we speak with!) and live in Norwich. We have a lovely life with her and much to be thankful for, but as for us all, we have our low points sometimes when it can get on top of us all. She can get highly anxious and unreasonable, and can really be quite horrible to her poor 6 yr old brother (and us!), although thankfully most people find her gentle and kind. She is a bright girl but struggles at school generally, although especially with social skills.

We are lucky to have some fantastic family and friends that are supportive and give her a social outlet, although she struggles with her school friends on a day to day basis, I think because she doesn't have adult support at school to help her interact as she does at home.

We would love to meet any similar family or learn of any support group in Norfolk that would enable Eleanor to meet other children like her. I think in adolescence, it will be especially beneficial for her to know she's not alone. It would be lovely to make some new friends in a similar situation, both for us, for Eleanor and also for her little brother who sometimes gets so frustrated with her.

I'd love to hear from you if you feel you are in a similar situation or if you know of any positive groups that are good for children of this age.

Thanks so much for reading this,

Sarah

Jane1403 Fri 04-Nov-16 17:45:03

Hi Sarah, I have an 11 year old son with Aspergers. We go to a fabulous club called Aspergers East Anglian who meet fortnightly on a Saturday in Norwich. The group is for the children to get together with kids like themselves but it is also a fabulous help to us parents who also need support from people who are living with this every day. Siblings are very welcome too. The lady who organises it is Ros on 01603 620500.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now