Talk

Advanced search

Advice for Dyspraxia therapy for DS aged 7

(7 Posts)
Flotsom Fri 19-Oct-18 18:21:27

Our DS in year 3 has been diagnosed with Dyspraxia- apparently quite mild- but explains an awful lot. We are now on a very long waiting list for OT through our council- Tower Hamlets. In the meantime can anyone offer any experience/recommendations for therapy? I am looking at The Sound Learning Centre and INPP. INPP seem to focus on retained reflexes, but Tinsley House, which I have also looked at, seems to reject it entirely. The Sound Learning Centres staff seem to have been trained at INPP- so is it the same therapy? All are quite expensive and while we are more than happy to pay for therapies we cant afford to try them all. I am also looking for private OT. Any advice or suggestions would be really appreciated as I feel a little rudderless and overwhelmed by it all at the moment.

LIZS Fri 19-Oct-18 18:24:01

Private ot or have a look at the Dyspraxia Foundation for ideas on activities which may help.

April2020mom Tue 23-Oct-18 23:03:52

Hi

We are currently on a waiting list for additional therapy sessions for our son. I’ve been looking at all of the options and called several places with questions. My son does therapy at home with a amazing private physio and is seeing a member of the 0-19 team in our area as well. I’m trying to figure out a way to get him into aqua therapy because I think he will benefit from it.

Flotsom Sat 10-Nov-18 22:29:44

Thanks April2020mom, sorry for slow reply- not sure if your'e still here!
We have had an assessment at the Sound Learning centre and they recommended both light and sound therapy followed by retained reflexes. Trying to work out if its going to be worth it as its a lot of money but more than the cost, is trying to work out how to schedule it in. We are going to see Hopscotch clinic for private OT as we are still waiting for a follow up apt from our first nhs one in September. We are already doing swimming, and though he struggles with it he enjoys it anyway so will def look into Aqua therapy.

Myst97 Thu 15-Nov-18 10:03:57

No idea about Sound learning by sensory OT has been very very helpful for our daughter with dyslexia. Can't recommend it enough. We went to Hopscotch first (good but v expensive) then found a cheaper but just a good local sensory OT. Warning must be a SENSORY trained OT not just any old one. Hope this helps.

vasillisa Thu 21-Feb-19 14:12:34

I would be wary of any place which offers to relieve you of a lot of cash.

Retained reflex has little scientific back up in terms of research, I asked Amanda Kirby about it as was tempted to try it last year. She gave it a thumbs down. Youtube for the exercises. I would say only pay if you really want the structure of going and being somewhere each week. Honestly though, you don't need to throw money at dyspraxia. There are TONS of simple things you can try which are of benefit for working on skills.

The Works is an excellent place to pick up bits - pipe cleaners for making funny animals, chalks, blackboard paint (vertical surfaces are good for doing shoulder strength stuff)

When you got diagnosis did the therapists (OT/Physio) give you exercises to work on?

If you give me an idea of the kind of challenges your child has then I am really happy to send you ideas from what we have been given by NHS. There are tons of free resources on youtube too (for example crossing the midline, dough disco) You can look at them and see if age appropriate. There is a good folder called Motor Skills United written by NHS OTs at Stockport. 40 quid I think but covers everything - used at our school. Happy to scan and send you our sheets.

I have so much stuff, I decided to make a sparkle jar so our son can have a lucky dip of a couple of things. Yesterday we made a cave boy assault course - climbing/balancing/crawling/bear walk and finding things and a throwing and drawing game. It doesn't feel like work when you fit the skills to their interests.
The second dip he got was water play - so a nice warm bubble bath and lots of squeezy toys for hand strength - bottles, water pistol etc. Later we did a bit of handwriting shapes and write dance.

Little and often and you will see the improvements.

Our DS is year 4 and was diagnosed Y1.

Have you read the out of synch child has fun?

I can recommend other books. Fantastic dyspraxia website good too.

Ooh and Facebook have various dyspraxia groups for parents have found these really useful.

Time and play are your friends here, not necessarily expensive companies. Get school on board once you have an idea of the things you want to work on. The diagnostic report should detail all the areas of difficulty - visual, spatial awareness, fine motor, gross motor etc.

Flotsom Tue 26-Mar-19 17:56:27

Thank you for the great advice Vasillisa & Myst97 and sorry for my very slow response.

Vasillisa- it sounds like you are doing an amazing job with your DS, Im scouring you tube now for exercises.

Mysta97- I have the Hopscotch page up at the moment and am also looking for someone more local.

We have had a second NHS assessment and they don't think he meets the threshold for DCD.
He scored very low in Manual dexterity and Balance assessments, has low tone, below average Visual motor coordination and motor planning difficulties. He is going to see an OT for help with specific home based problems- teeth cleaning, putting on socks, cutlery but at school he is struggling with retaining information, verbal instruction, memory and is very messy- loses at least article of clothing every week-( I can't tell you how many PE shirts we have been through).

The GP has referred him for an auditory processing assessment which we are still waiting for an appointment and we are trying to get school to have him assessed by an Ed-psych.

Having looked into it further I've discounted the retained reflexes as well.

Thank you again for the help and advice.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »