Advanced search

Our SN area is not a substitute for expert advice. While many Mumsnetters have a specialist knowledge of special needs, if they post here they are posting as members, not experts. There are, however, lots of organisations that can help - some suggestions are listed here. If you've come across an organisation that you've found helpful, please tell us. Go to Special needs chat, Parents with disabilities, SN teens, SN legal, SN education, SN children.

Pediatritian for children with autism

(6 Posts)
MrsMLF Mon 01-Nov-10 11:08:49

Since my son was diagnosed with autism, my GP conveniently washed his hands from any responsibility for my son's health.

When I have asked for a referral to a paediatrician for my son's general health check-up, he refers me to my developmental paediatrician, who then refers me to my GP (She says she is does not make referral about general health).

Anyway - I gave up arguing with both and now trying to go for a private consult, but have no idea how to find a good private paediatrician. Any tips? I live in West London

coffee1 Tue 23-Nov-10 21:41:19

Hi there i cant really give you specific advice but i pretty much had the same thing happen to me. My child still goes to the gp for general health problems so cant really understand why your gp has done that unless you can ellaborate a bit more. I have outside help from various organisations. My child went from mainstream to a specialist school that deals with children who have autism so i mainly get outside help with advice from school and others.... if you could tell me a bit more about the problem your having i could probably give you a bit more advice

bettyboop63 Wed 16-Feb-11 21:56:28

you can complain, has the Gp taken you or your DS off his register? which hes not allowed to do just because your DC is autistic use this link id=68&subcategoryid=158 and NHS ombudsman... another question id like to ask is do you have another gp that covers your area if all else fails instead of trying to go private which you shouldnt have to do i would make an appointment at CAB ..HTH

maxsmama Sun 21-Aug-11 14:56:40

Dr Daphne Keen specialises in Autism and dev related issues. Can find her on google.

Boast1938 Fri 16-Dec-16 19:00:44

Try the Portland Street Hospital in London. You can find it if the Internet. My great grandson so a private consultant there.

Secondtimesally Sun 19-Mar-17 20:31:17

My sons see Dr Claire Scott (NHS - based in SW London) but I know she works privately too. Highly recommend her.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: