Advanced search

Our SN area is not a substitute for expert advice. While many Mumsnetters have a specialist knowledge of special needs, if they post here they are posting as members, not experts. There are, however, lots of organisations that can help - some suggestions are listed here. If you've come across an organisation that you've found helpful, please tell us. Go to Special needs chat, Parents with disabilities, SN teens, SN legal, SN education, SN children.

Special needs: Can somebody recommend?

(8 Posts)
Torta Tue 21-Sep-10 10:41:49

Hello everyone, I am new here. I watched BBC2 last night and was introduced to this wonderful site. Basically, in a nutshell and will try to make this really brief and if anyone out there is reading this; please I would welcome all the advice I can get:
Am at a crossroads...
Have lived out of the U.K. 20 yrs. Have two lovely, lovely boys, one went to boarding school in the U.K. when he was 11 yrs back in 2006, he is doing well and thriving. My younger boy is at an international college here and is really struggling with his school work. He took 12 exams last summer, passed six and failed six, so as a result he had to study all through the summer for his resits in September. We worked really, really hard over the summer with revision. He passed three and failed three. Because he is a well behaved little boy and is not disruptive he was moved into yr 8, yes, he is 12 yrs old... However, I have been very affected about this over the summer and have seriously wondered whether to have him tested for special needs in the U.K. He has already been tested here and they say he may have mild ADD or ADHD... I did not get the confirmation because here, he would have to do a brain scan and he had one when he was very, very little when he was a baby and I could not bare all the worry of that again.

He is a gorgeous boy, normal in every single way, doesn't suffer any medical conditions, he is just very easily distracted and lacks concentration. Currently he frequents a very, very academic school and I am just worried for his self esteem and self worth; now and for his future...

I am thinking of coming back to the U.K. with my husband and starting a 'new life' and adventure! The whole process feels like a needle in a haystack right now and I have no idea where to start. With liviing such a long time out of the country, I feel I have no rights, even though I was born, educated and possess a British passport. We will base our decision on the 'means assessed tests' as I feel the U.K. will have better opportunities for our boy and his future in the long run... Please can anyone recommend , telephone numbers, email addresses, any child psychologists or medical centres in the south east of england area, that I may contact in order to arrange an appointment; fly over and have my little boy seen to.

Thank you so much to anyone reading this. x

caketinrosie Sat 25-Sep-10 11:04:21

Hi Torta, Welcome to mumsnet! i think your son's test results are fantastic! If he does struggle to concentrate and focus and still managed to pass his exams i think that is amazing. I have two children 12yrs and 9 yrs both with Autistic spectrum disorder both severely disabled. Diagnosis for the kids was through our paediatrician when both were tiny (around 3)I wouldn't be in a rush to assume special needs, your son may just need a bit more support and maybe a little less pressure to perform? If you want to have him assessed in the UK you will need to first register with a GP explain your concerns and ask for a paeds referral. Be aware though any diagnosis will not be instant, and should not be, it took over 18 months before my childrens diagnosis was confirmed and it is a devastating time. Don't rush to join the SN club because membership is for life....sad

visionspecialist Wed 29-Sep-10 21:22:33

One of the things you should definately check out is vision - and I don't mean just seeing a high street optician, who will probably not be able to help. Studies show that around 25% of children with attention problems have subtle vision problems, and the people to see about this are behavioural optometrist. have a look at or for more information. If vision is a factor, it can often be helped very quickly. Also look at www.dystalk for more information.

minimoos7589 Sat 12-Feb-11 19:06:46

Hi. I am new to this and in need of advice for my 18 year old sister.

She has just turned 18 but is not the run of the mill 18 year old.

She has never been diagnosed with any particular title but as a baby she was very poorly and in hospital a lot with Menegitis, I wonder if this had any effect.

She has always been very qwuirky !! Very particular in what she wore, ate or played with. She reacted dramatically to lots of things that we wouldn't usually react to, well not on that scale.
As she has got older her lack of social skills and her general behaviour in social environments has worsened. It seems seas no understanding of how to act or react to events. My parents are struggling to point out her Sri.g doings due to her reaction when they do, she will argue and cry anywhere.

She has no understanding of money or the responsibilities of a young adult. It is very hard to explain. We are all struggling to know how we help her now........without worrying or effecting her confidence , any advice would be hugely appreciated .

SNM Fri 16-Sep-11 12:27:00

Hi Torta. There is a fantastic school that is almost certain to be able to support your boy. It's called More House School near Farnham My sons both attend this school. There is a great independent Ed Psych called Ro Facer at Team Focus in Maidenhead I also have a site which you may find useful. You can contct me from there if you need more help.

busymum2008 Wed 16-Nov-11 16:22:58

Hi everyone
You might be interested in a Learning and Development Exhibition I'm organising in Harrow, Middlesex.

First of its kind. An event to showcase local businesses and services relating to Education, learning and development of children and adults, including, Special Needs Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Speech and Language Therapy, Audiologist, Behavioural Optometrist, Counsellors, Multi-sensory Tuition, Confidence Building Workshops, Dance school for Special Needs, Paediatric Nutritionist and many more !

madwomanintheattic Wed 16-Nov-11 16:28:38

busymum, start your own thread on the main sn children's board. i don't think it will get seen here.

typer Thu 17-Jan-13 15:16:12

Any child with special needs would benefit from learning to touch type. Over 50% of those who attend our courses are Dyslexic, Dyspraxic or other special needs. Our course leader is a qualified special needs teacher. Details:

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now