Advanced search


(3 Posts)
stucknoue Sat 18-May-19 21:58:18

Has anyone here successfully claimed spousal support for adult dc's with sn, specifically high functioning autism - there's simply no way to know if she will ever be fully independent (super bright but crippling anxiety so attends local university). I can't afford to support her on my salary alone but h is a high earner and could easily afford to give me enough to keep our house and buy himself somewhere

Arthur1987 Mon 30-Sep-19 14:03:48

As far as I know, your ex would only maybe be liable to to support your housing if the child was under the age of 18 years... Most higher functioning Autists function quite well, in terms of meeting their own basic needs.

Are you a registered carer for your adult child? Does she receive PIP? Does she have a support worker and a therapist?

My partner has Aspergers, and crippling anxiety, and although she is not great with organisation or socialising, she is still able to lead a fully independent life.

I don't think this is the sort of disability Maintenance is supposed to go towards.. I believe it reserved for special cases where an adult child is profoundly disabled, such as being bed bound.

You should double check all of this with the correct legal representation.

lifeisgoodagain Wed 04-Dec-19 07:33:23

Thanks @Arthur1987 things have moved on and he's agreed to gift me the house and pay spousal until the mortgage is paid off or I remarry (if) hes also paying for both girls allowances and for the dog so I cannot complain. I'm still not sure if he gets the fact that one of us may have to have her live with us for life, he's just thinking through her PhD. Her sister has offered for her to live with her eventually so sweet.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »