Talk

Advanced search

Is Carers Allowance an insult? And should it be taxable?

(4 Posts)
wintersweet1977 Sun 14-Apr-19 14:24:45

My question is essentially that?

£66.15 for 35+ hours of caring a week that's £1.89 at the most per hour of care given? I personally care for between 100 and about 140 hours a week.

Should carers allowance be taxable?

NoBaggyPants Sun 14-Apr-19 14:35:02

I don't think carers get anywhere near enough support from rhe state in terms of healthcare, social care, respite etc, and they never will from a Tory government.

But CA is rarely paid in isolation unless you have a high level of capital or household income that stops you claiming other benefits. If you're looking at whether the level of financial support is fair, you need to compare the total, not just one element.

Mynamenotaccepted Mon 15-Apr-19 15:48:25

Carers Allowance is an insult but it does contribute to your state pension. However once you claim your pension you can no longer get CA confused do you stop caring once you get to 65 - 66?

totallycluelessoverhere Tue 16-Jul-19 10:13:26

Carers allowance is a total insult.
I don’t even understand people saying it isn’t paid in isolation. For many it is paid in isolation because they have partners who work and are therefore not entitled to any other benefits. If they were not caring they would probably be employed and would have a proper wage which fully reflects the hours they put in.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »