Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Can DLA Payment be split between 2 parents?

(5 Posts)
lovebeyondwords Wed 08-Nov-17 13:40:10

My child receives higher rate DLA, it is confirmed for the next 3 years at least.

My ex husband looks after our child 2 nights per week. He has now decided that he wants to claim a percentage of the DLA payment for the days he takes him.

(Basically he has spat his dummy since I contacted the csa after years of underpayment, and they have hammered him for increased child maintenance. So now he’s decided to claim a portion of my child’s DLA as he’s skint. A new all time low for him sad.)

So my question is:
I receive the child benefit, hence DLA is paid to me. Can he claim a portion of it?
I’m pretty sure the answer is no, but just want to make Sure.

Thank you

Ellie56 Tue 21-Nov-17 15:09:00

hmm I've never heard of this happening. You are presumably the appointee so they pay it to you for DC.
Is he wanting a portion of the child benefit too?

What a low life he is - using his disabled child to get at you.

Ellie56 Tue 21-Nov-17 15:09:49

I would ring up the DLA office and check.

lovebeyondwords Tue 21-Nov-17 15:47:05

Thanks Ellie, I emailed the office and they indicated as the child benefit is paid to me he can’t claim it.
Currently waiting with baited breath for a solicitor’s letter but he can try. He’s not getting a cent of the money I’m saving for my child to use when he gets older and I can no longer support him.
Total idiot.
Thanks for ur reply smile

Ellie56 Tue 21-Nov-17 16:20:15

Just passing on some advice I was given.

I would be careful about saving the money. If he's got savings over a certain amount this could impact on the level of benefits he will qualify for when he is older, and he could end up being worse off financially as a result. Use the money now to make life easier for you and him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now