Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

High mobility rate DLA refused

(3 Posts)
chikita1980 Tue 24-Oct-17 11:51:35

Hello,

My DS has been refused high rate mobility on our DLA renewal. DS has autism and has frequently refused to walk and abruptly stops walking and dangerously runs on roads. We had requested for Mandatory reconsideration and DWP has replied back saying that they are sticking to their original decision.

The reasons given are:
- His refusal to walk episodes are due to his conscious decision not to walk
- The refusal to walk is not observed in school so it is not frequent and unpredictable.

I am planning on appealing against this decision. Can you please give me suggestions as to how I can go about this?

Why do we have to prove that in all environments the child will exhibit the same behaviour? How do I prove that refusal to walk is not his conscious decision?
Any thoughts, pointers and caselaws would be very helpful.

Thanks.

chikita1980 Sun 05-Nov-17 11:50:48

Dear friends,

Please any input and pointers towards this would be helpful.

Thanks

MariahJ Mon 20-Nov-17 14:36:05

I think you are right to appeal. If he might run into the road dangerously - that's a supervision need which they haven't addressed. I might focus on that. Also fact that his refusal to walk isn't seen in school doesn't make it unpredictable or infrequent. Just that he will walk at school. If he frequently won't walk home it is still frequent and predictable. Have you heard of Advicenow? They have a guide about how to appeal - gives advice through the whole process. All free. www.advicenow.org.uk/guides/how-win-dla-appeal
Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now