Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DLA claim for just one area of care?

(14 Posts)
Ladybunnyfluff Tue 11-Oct-16 05:57:11

Hello, I'm wondering if anyone here claims DLA for a child who needs extra care in just one area of personal care?

DD's care requirements exceed an average child by a few hours more than an average child but only in one aspect of care.

Has anyone in this circumstance made a successful claim?

We're not expecting anything greater than lower rate care but frankly anything would be beneficial.

Ladybunnyfluff Tue 11-Oct-16 16:24:35

Anybody know if there is a better place for this? I didn't really know where to post it. Thanks

Sirzy Tue 11-Oct-16 16:26:45

Without any details of what the area of care is it's pretty hard for anyone to advise. But if they are needing a couple of hours on top of what is deemed "normal" each day then it's probably worth applying

Jasonandyawegunorts Tue 11-Oct-16 17:22:27

I depends on the area of care and the age of the child. It's all about more need than the average person of the same age.

MrsSam Tue 11-Oct-16 17:29:47

As has already been said it's difficult to say without knowing exactly what extra care is needed. However, there may well be areas where you do provide extra care that you simply don't realise. The dla form itself is, or was to me, a big eye opener, I found it particularly upsetting facing for the first time an entire list of what was abnormal about my child. When I started filling in the form it was the first time I really accepted how much extra care was necessary. I would certainly apply, you have nothing to lose. I would advise you to write every detail you can and not to think you have to condense it to fit the form. Also send anything which is specific to your child and copies of any reports etc. Good luck!

Ladybunnyfluff Tue 11-Oct-16 17:58:59

Thank you all smile

Jasonandyawegunorts Tue 11-Oct-16 18:13:39

Do you know about the cerebra guide?

Melawati Tue 11-Oct-16 18:42:38

Yes, it's hard to know without details, but if in total your DD's care needs are over and above the average for her age, even if it's only in one area I'm sure it's worth applying.
We were the opposite, lots of 10 and 15 mins here and there added up to a lot of time overall. I put off applying, but filling in the form was very revealing for me.

Ladybunnyfluff Thu 13-Oct-16 16:24:37

Hi everyone thanks for replying.
The area is eating/feeding.

Care supplied to DD includes:
- Prompting/reminding to eat at mealtimes (she doesn't really do hungry/requesting food.).
-Verbal encouragement.
-Physical encouragement: Lifting food up get mouth either by hand or spoon to prompt her.
- Reminding her to swallow food once in mouth.
- Reminding her to drink to aid swallowing.
- Continued coaxing to eat throughout meals often taking hours. (Breakfast finished vaguely at 12pm today).
-Preparing high calorie/high fat diet.
- Preparing prescribed supplements (Fortini etc).
-Ensuring she attempts said supplements.

Fairylea Thu 13-Oct-16 16:29:19

Read the cerebra dla guide- you can find it by googling. You have nothing to lose so apply and see what happens.

Ladybunnyfluff Thu 13-Oct-16 16:30:05

I should probably add this is more than a case of picky eating and she loses weight/stops growing if this performance stops.

Fairylea Thu 13-Oct-16 18:15:01

What are the reasons behind the issues with food / feeding? Are they sensory based? Physical reasons? Whatever the reasons behind it I would explain those fully as if the person reading the form doesn't have any medical or special needs knowledge (which they probably won't).

LadyBunnyFluff Mon 14-Nov-16 13:24:06

Fairylea, I just wanted to say it was your response to this thread talking of sensory issues that prompted me to think deeper about other areas of my DD's care that we perhaps took for granted. Today I started a new thread because I am convinced that perhaps I have overlooked the possibility that my daughter has a form of ASD. Thank you.

LadyBunnyFluff Mon 14-Nov-16 13:25:55

New thread is here:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/special_needs/2780126-Have-I-been-oblivious-3yo-DD-and-ASD

I would really appreciate anyone's input. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now