Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DLA form query

(7 Posts)
MollyBloomYes Tue 30-Aug-16 20:19:23

Hi, just looking for a bit of help filling in the dla form. My son hasn't got a diagnosis yet but have been advised to apply (looking like speech delay, sensory processing, possibility of autism). This has all been done through health visitor so should I state that in the first section when it asks for when I saw the GP? He hasn't seen a GP because this was all spurred by his 2 year health visitor check but I'm not sure I should leave that section blank!

Secondly who can fill in the section from 'someone who knows your child?' He hasn't started pre school yet, could a friend do it or does it need to be a professional? I have a friend who is a speech therapist who might be able to do it but she isn't his speech therapist iyswim so don't want it to be a conflict of interest!

Any help gratefully received!

ALemonyPea Tue 30-Aug-16 20:22:40

My DS2 hasn't seen his GP in years, I wouldn't worry about that. If you out all the professionals down who are seeing him, that would help. There should be a bit for that.

It doesn't have to be a professional who fills the 'someone who knows your child' bit in, just someone who can say how is condition impacts his day to day life.

muggins14 Wed 31-Aug-16 13:50:50

Can I also suggest you go to the Benefits & Work website, they have in-depth PDF guides advising you on all the information that you need to put onto the forms for each individual section, they tell you the correct way of wording to be more likely to get a positive result first time.

I used their guide when my daughter changed to PIP this year, without it I doubt she'd have received a decision of Enhanced Care or Mobility within 4 weeks of applying. The ATOS medical was done over the phone surprisingly enough.

As ALemony said though, list every professional involved with your child, they will decide who to contact.

Someone who knows your child could be your Health Visitor, a medical professional, a family member who is involved and knows your child needs - anybody who can add a bit of extra outside 'evidence'.

It might be worth taking a visit to your GP, and I would add them to your list either way if your child is registered with them, as they are 'involved' or will be at some point as their registered GP.

Good luck!

MollyBloomYes Wed 31-Aug-16 18:20:11

Brilliant, thank you both so much. Feel a bit like I'm about to go down the rabbit hole so I'll definitely check out that website!

muggins14 Wed 31-Aug-16 22:19:11

Oh I know Molly, it's such a minefield!

Reading your OP again, you mention a friend who is a speech therapist - she would be a good option for the 'somebody who knows your child' because, even though she'd be writing from a personal perspective, putting her profession gives her some clout - as in, she knows what she's talking about as she's a medical professional. The fact that she knows him/you on a personal level and can see that there are additional needs that he has, makes her a good 'somebody' to know, if you get my drift.

I can't stress enough, do put your GP down - they will have contact (mine did at least) with your Health Visitor plus, of course, list your Health Visitor! A letter from her would also help - don't wait to be asked for additional things like evidence, letters, etc. - send them in with the form straight away. There's never too much evidence for this kind of situation.

My daughter failed her mobility on her last DLA 3 years ago, but it was overturned the minute a SW from the Disabled Children's Team wrote a brief letter. You'd be surprised how small things add up when it comes to DLA!

If you do need to get help filling in the form, see if there's a Carer's Centre near you or, failing that, the Citizens Advice - although with all the cuts recently they are overrun but will help.

Do, though, read through the Benefits & Welfare guide - it's a fantastic aid. smile

MollyBloomYes Thu 01-Sep-16 18:02:41

Great thanks muggins! Fortunately my HV seems to be shaping up to be a good'un so I'll give her a call tomorrow

muggins14 Fri 02-Sep-16 13:06:26

That's great - I had a terrific HV too, it does make all the difference smile She was a life-saver to be honest and stuck with us way beyond the time she was meant to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now