Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Child DLA - "other children of the same age"

(4 Posts)
Claennister Mon 22-Aug-16 18:56:45

Does anyone know if there is some kind of reference document somewhere that I might be able to get a look at, which shows what the DLA assessors would expect "other children of the same age" to be able to do? I'm being encouraged to apply but I have only the one child and she's always been like this, so I don't have the slightest clue what sort of assistance other children of her age are able to do. I know they can do more complex things and that generally they are more independent, but I'd really like something a bit more specific before we go and put ourselves through this. Things I think she most particularly needs more help with is anything that involves following or remembering instructions and things with motor skills. I have asked other parents what age their children can bathe independently and most have given an age much lower than DD's age, but not sure if there's some official DWP "This is what children age 5/10/13, etc. can do by themselves" book. Any thoughts? (Already a member at Benefits and Work, but their book on DLA for children really only told me I had to show she had more trouble than another child her age, no reference to what another child her age can do)

muggins14 Wed 31-Aug-16 14:00:43

www.cafamily.org.uk/media/744270/claiming_dla_for_children.pdf

The Contact A Family guide may also be helpful.

I found the Benefits & Work guide very helpful, but I recall her first application at age 3 was hard as I had nothing to compare to either and no computer to google what should a child her age be doing.

I think the best thing you can do is explain all you have to do for your child, don't sugar-coat the 'bad' bits and, as suggested, a diary of a week with your child can be really useful.

If they can see that what you do to help your child, and what your child doesn't do that a child their age normally does, that would help.

Cph21 Mon 26-Jun-17 19:51:19

Hi not sure if this is the right place to post new to this. In a nut shell my daughter was diagnosed as blind at 4 month earlier old and registered legally applied for DLA as advised by her consultant. Been told today after months of waiting that she doesn't qualify. Heartbroken isn't the word! Have sent a mandatory reconsideration by special delivery today can anyone advise if they have been through the same thing? Any ideas if I will win or if this is going to be a battle. SO very unfair to family's who have enough to deal with. Thanks in advance for any help xxx

BoyGirlTwinmum2011 Wed 28-Jun-17 15:11:51

Cph21 - did you send in the letter from doctor and all evidence you needed to? It's very strange if she is registered as blind that they would still say no, it's normally automatically set as yes if a child has severe seeing problems as it can affect them for generating of their lives. I would suggest that you call them or physically go into a Jobcentre or benefits advise place and state your case. It may possibly be to do with her age as my son didn't get DLA until he was 18months and they could see that he simply was not aging mentally as well as another 18 month old, it was only then with almost a book worth of doctors reports they said yes first time. But I think without all of that they would have said no because they seem to make it extremely difficult for people to get the help they need and are entitled to nowadays. Pm me if you would like to discuss anything else about DLA or PIP X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now