Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DLA abroad

(7 Posts)
Befree1 Sat 19-Mar-16 17:51:22

Hello! my first post!

As things go downhill here in the UK i'm seriously thinking about moving abroad - not necessarily for better services but may as well be somewhere warm (i'm not from the uk and have been dying to leave anyway). My 16+ yr old daughter receives higher rates DLA - I'm her carer etc...i've read these benefits can't be exported if you move permanently...however as a non EE i can't live in Europe permanently so have to come back here (with my leave to remain) every six months or so.

i read somewhere that doing this one could retain benefits like DLA - but on gov.uk it says max 13 weeks out of uk...but 13 weeks in how many weeks? ie come back for a week and leave again? Seems a strange loophole.

Just wondered if anyone happened to know. I've googled it and it is seems a bit unclear...all moot if we make a Brexit of course.

Befree1 Sat 19-Mar-16 17:53:15

sorry that wasn't very clear - the idea is that we would live between here (UK) and europe...whatever amounts of time are the max allowed that she can keep her DLA.

LIZS Sat 19-Mar-16 17:55:50

Iirc it is a one-off period of 13 weeks after which you lose it. At least, it was when we moved abroad as expats for child benefit. You need to be deemed UK resident.

Befree1 Sat 19-Mar-16 18:19:05

per year then?

It's nuts because she then can't claim here or in spain (before being resident for 5yrs)!

There must be a number of weeks in a year a person has to be in the uk to be resident...

LIZS Sat 19-Mar-16 18:29:59

You probably need to contact https://www.gov.uk/exportability-team. I think it may not be an annual allowance as such. 13 weeks is the maximum absence (medical treatment differs) to continue to be entitled.

Befree1 Sat 19-Mar-16 18:42:58

yes i saw that. i'll contact them. seems unjust for someone who will never be able to work but is British no to get something.

i suppose if they keep on cutting it wont make a difference anyway.

Befree1 Sat 19-Mar-16 18:43:21

never be able to work and needs 24/7 care....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now