Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Advice needed please

(3 Posts)
Lindsey1973 Thu 25-Feb-16 14:02:02

Hi, I'm new here hope someone will be able to advise me.

My son who is 9 has just be diagnosed with ASD. I've been fighting for help since he was in nursery and it's took all this time to finally get a diagnosis. His school haven't been very good and his education has suffered because of his condition, he was seen to be 'just a naughty child' but I knew this wasn't the case. His has been on an IEP since reception for poor participation and behaviour.

In the last six months he's became quite violent, he actually threatened me with a knife a few weeks ago because I intervened when he attacked his older sister. He rarely goes to sleep before 3am and I'm finding it extremely difficult to function during the day as I'm so tired. I have an appointment with the consultant next week and I'm hoping she will give me something to help him sleep.

Am I entitled to any help financially for him.

Thank you in advance xx

enterthedragon Wed 16-Mar-16 07:25:22

You can apply for disability living allowance, it is needs based and the forms are quite lengthy but it is the detail you fil in that determines what rate of DLA you can receive, if you get it than that can open up things like carers allowance and extra tax credits.

Google disability living allowance for children and look for the gov.UK website, it will give you the details on how to apply for DLA.

AugustaFinkNottle Tue 12-Apr-16 12:34:10

You might also be entitled to some further help from social services, e.g. respite care. Write to the children's services department, say he's a child in need under section 17 Children Act 1989 and ask them to carry out an assessment with a view to providing a care plan.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now