Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Direct payments for a 16 year old with severe autism

(4 Posts)
Hayze80 Mon 14-Sep-15 19:27:12

Does anyone have any experience of this? Current situation is a child's savings account which I control but the bank have told us this will have to close as DD is 16 soon. Social services want an account with DD named on it but I can't seem to find one. She's going to be having a mental capacity assessment soon as I've pointed out that 16/17 year olds are supposed to agree to direct payments themselves for it to continue. Social services won't even consider the payments going into our account under any circumstances. Seems strange since that's exactly what's going to be happening with DLA. Joint accounts are a no go since for online access you need to be 18 for a joint. Savings accounts are fine but you can't pay a carer directly which kind of defeats the object. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm really at my wits end.



ThePastIsObdurate Sun 22-Nov-15 19:38:10

Hello, I work as a PA, the lady I work for has money go directly into her bank account from an outside organisation every 4 weeks. She then pays me straight away and this is very much the situation as I know it for other PA's.
Why won't they consider putting payments into your account? What are their reasons? As it is a bizarre stance for them to take given its usually what happens. I was wondering if it was a specific social worker being awkward?

ThePastIsObdurate Sun 22-Nov-15 19:42:41

The only other way I can think to do it would be to have a power of attorney, as I have for my sister, so you can open an account on her behalf.

Hayze80 Sun 22-Nov-15 20:00:34

Their reasons are that it should go to the disabled person, whether they are capable of dealing with money or not. As it is, DLA is now coming to me as appointee and the bank is now happy to deal with me and open an account in her name. This is likely to change once she turns 18 when we'll need to be made deputies in order to continue looking after her money. Can't do power of attorney as she doesn't have the mental capacity to sign over her affairs. At least we've got it sorted for now.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: