Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Don't know whether tp apply for DLA

(3 Posts)
MrsM42 Tue 11-Aug-15 16:30:48

Hi all,

I posted on here when my son was a couple of months old as he seemed very developmentally behind.

He is now 9 months old and has come on in leaps and bounds, although he is still only developmentally at 5-6 months. He has high musle tone in his arms and legs, particularly his ankles and feet. He cant swallow any food that has lumps in it, he chokes until he vomits if there is even the smallest lump in his food. He still struggles with bottles, as formula spills out of his mouth and runs down his chin, and he swallows so much air! We are still waiting for referral for SALT, but we waited nearly 6 months to be seen by physio, so not expecting it any time soon.

We arent allowed to put him in to jumparoo or baby walker (physio said it was a big no-no) as it can increase spasticity in his legs, an he is not able to sit up so I have to carry him everywhere as he gets very bored and frustrated lying on the floor.

I do his physio with his 4 times a day for 20 mins a time.

The other thing is his eyesight - he wears glasses that are +7 prescription in each eye.

I dont' know whether to apply for DLA for him, as he is catching up massively and I don't know whether he is badly enough affected to qualify.

Any opinions or advice would be great thanks.

wizzywig Sun 16-Aug-15 11:15:03

yes. id apply. you are having to do more than you would for a typically developing child

ThePastIsObdurate Sun 22-Nov-15 19:46:21

If his disability is affecting his day to day life, as you describe, the yes you should definitely apply.
You give the worst case scenario. How is he on a bad day? You write all that down.
Even if they only give DLA for 2 years to begin with, it's something to help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now