Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Claiming PIP when already a carer

(4 Posts)
mdpis3 Thu 04-Jun-15 07:54:40

I'm asking for a friend as I was stumped when she put the question to me and I can't seem to find a definitive answer online (I will of course tell her to call the PIP helpline and ask):

I can see that a couple, for example, can claim carers allowance for each other so that obviously doesn't cancel out each other's benefits but if a parent is already in receipt of carers allowance for a disabled child (who receives DLA) can the adult also claim PIP? There are no other benefits in the mix, apart from child benefit and tax credits. Nothing else means tested. I am just not sure if a parent claiming PIP would cancel out the carers allowance or effect the child's benefit entitlement?

Any thoughts?

ThePastIsObdurate Sun 22-Nov-15 19:48:42

Yes. I am disabled myself and also a carer. Being disabled and claiming disability for yourself doesn't yourself doesn't affect anything with carers allowance. They know I claim carers and there wasn't any problemZ
Hope that helps :-)

ThePastIsObdurate Sun 22-Nov-15 19:49:22

Sorry, got my typing mixed up!

ThePastIsObdurate Sun 22-Nov-15 19:52:15

Not sure that made much sense, my phone went a bit silly.
Try again....
You can claim PIP while also claiming carers allowance. I have and there isn't any problem, they know about it, codes by affect anything. There :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now