Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Higher rate care DLA

(6 Posts)
plainjayne123 Tue 12-May-15 21:30:54

Would a child who wakes at 5am everyday meet criteria for night time care and therefore higher rate care DLA? Child already received middle rate care DLA

Sirzy Tue 12-May-15 21:35:15

I doubt it, the official line is -

"To satisfy a night-time test you must need either of the following:

help with personal care at least twice a night, or once a night for at least 20 minutes
someone to check on you at least twice a night, or once a night for at least 20 minutes, to make sure that you are safe
For this benefit, night usually starts just after your household has gone to bed and ends just before your household gets up in the morning."

I'm sure someone more knowledgable will be as to advice better though. I would imagine that they would argue early waking isn't out of the norm for a child.

plainjayne123 Tue 12-May-15 21:41:48

Thanks

ouryve Tue 12-May-15 21:47:22

When we renewed DS2's DLA at 5, we were told that it's not abnormal at that age. And it's certainly not unusual to expect to have to et up with a typical 5yo

When we renewed at 8, we got HRC without a quibble. A typical 8yo who routinely gets up at that time would be able to grab a drink, go to the loo and entertain themselves safely, while DS2 has a big wet nappy that needs seeing to and climbs all over the kitchen in search of food and enrages his brother (older, but really needs more sleep than he does to function, but can't get to sleep until he's settled) by turning the lights on.

There's been nights when my own insomnia's kept me awake until 3 or 4am then DH has been up with DS2 an hour later!

plainjayne123 Tue 12-May-15 22:22:47

Thanks, very useful

wizzywig Thu 04-Jun-15 22:17:22

everyones situation is different. i got it for my 5yr old

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now