Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Social Services talking to my child

(6 Posts)
mrandmrsr Tue 15-Mar-11 19:18:41

Can social services talk to my 7 year old child alone?

CarysFach Tue 15-Mar-11 20:23:57

I thought that they needed another party to be present. You have to be careful when talking to LOs, just in case you ask 'leading questions'.Was this at school?

charlie06 Wed 04-May-11 14:25:36

I think this depends if it is part of a CP enquiry, otherwise consent must be sought from parents.

Birdsgottafly Wed 08-Jun-11 21:24:29

There will be two SW, it depends on what it is for they may include a doctor etc. A member of the public cannot be present including a solicitor.

noir Fri 10-Jun-11 16:19:38

Hi Mrandmrsr,

Im a senior social worker with a background in children with disabilities and child protection.

If the case is a 'child in need' case (which social workers call a 'section 17') then they need your consent to speak alone with the child. If its a 'child protection' investigation (a 'section 47') or your child is already subject to a Child Protection Plan then they do not need your consent, although I still feel it is respectful to seek the parents views. If you're not sure which of the above your child's case is then please ask your social worker, they should be able to give you a clear and immediate answer.

Its not accurate to say two social workers will be present, or a doctor or anyone else, social workers often speak to children on a one to one basis.

Hope this helps.

Birdsgottafly Fri 10-Jun-11 18:32:17

Noir- under my LA it is standard that there are two CP SW present, which i took it to be a CP matter. I was giving an overview, meaning that it depends on the circumstances. I agree although you do your best to work 'in partnership' with parents, it cannot always happen, the OP doesn't sound happy and consent may not have been asked for, i find that it does vary from LA ot LA when i have gotten into discussions on here. I took it that the OP did not want to give details of investigation and that it was during an initial assessment.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: