Talk

Advanced search

Shocking communication from school re: EHCP...HELP!

(13 Posts)
Emcharlierush Thu 09-May-19 16:34:38

Out of desperation, can anyone relate to me?! I am seriously struggling here. DD has spina bifida and also, after a long awaiting ed psych assessment, has problems with learning. Finally it was decided that the school would apply for an EHCP. This was December 2018 and it is now May 2019. I haven’t had any communication from the school about how far along the process they are, if they have filled it out/made the application. Not once have I been consulted or involved in this process…at all. I don’t even know what the school would have written on this application. Do parent’s get involved with applying, or only after (if) the LA accepts it?
When I ask, or get the our community nurse to ask on my behalf (thank god for her) we get ‘it’s in process’ but that’s it. WHERE in the process???
I’m so stressed, DD isn’t getting the help she needs and the weeks are going by. I fear that she won’t get the help she needs unless we have this (at the moment imaginary) EHCP. I really do appreciate that the progress is long and arduous with no guarantee of success at the end, but is it normal to be this far out of the loop?

vasillisa Thu 09-May-19 18:34:38

Make an urgent appt with head and senco. You need to know when the request to assess was submitted. Parent view form and child view/pupil view form should be part of it. You should have been informed by the local authority if a request has been received by them. SSOSEN and IPSEA have good timelines for what should happen when. There are strict legal timelines, but the LA's often try to muck about...

Emcharlierush Fri 10-May-19 06:53:23

Thank you. I’ve found all the timelines on what happens when, but obviously that’s after the school does their part. Do you think it’s safe to say that they haven’t sent it off yet? I haven’t heard anything from the local authority sad

Needcoffeeimmediatley Fri 10-May-19 18:16:07

I had a lot of input with my sons EHCP application, also you have to sign it off.
Unfortunately, I would say it's safe to say that they haven't submitted it.
Request and immediate meeting as PP said.
X

Alwaysgrey Fri 10-May-19 18:19:05

Request a meeting ASAP. I’d also consider applying for an ehcp as I’ve done it for both my kids. Ipsea have a model letter to guide you.

Emcharlierush Fri 10-May-19 18:59:45

@Needcoffeeimmediately @Alwaysgrey Oh God sad I knew it. Thanks both for your help. From people who have been through the process before...would you say 5 months is long enough for the school to do the application?? I need to know what’s reasonable and what’s not when I go for my meeting. I sound so stupid I know, but I literally know nothing sad

Alwaysgrey Fri 10-May-19 19:15:15

5 months is more than long enough. If they’d agree to assess the whole process should only take 5 months. The process is designed to confused so please don’t feel bad. Schools often don’t know the laws and rights and the LA don’t always want you to know.

RaveOn Fri 10-May-19 19:18:40

Apply yourself! Don't waste time asking school to do it, it's clear they don't intend to after 5 months.

I applied for both my children using the template letter from IPSEA - I also included a copy of all medical letters/reports and any other evidence of need I had.

Ellie56 Fri 10-May-19 19:51:05

Yes 5 months is way too long. You should hear whether they are going to assess within 6 weeks. They are just fobbing you off.

Apply yourself. Info here.

www.ipsea.org.uk/ehc-needs-assessments

Make a note of the date you apply (send it by email or signed for post) and if you haven't heard within the requisite 6 weeks chase them up reminding them of their legal duties.

Unfortunately as all too many of us on here know, LAs excel in delaying tactics. angry

Emcharlierush Fri 10-May-19 20:55:55

They have totally pulled the wool over my eyes haven’t they. It’s not even as though it’s not been mentioned during those 5 months, I’ve approached them and they tell me it’s ‘in progress’ ‘it’s a long application’ ‘there’s lots of paperwork’. Clearly total lies. I’m tempted to make a complaint on the back of this.

Thank you for the link. I am happy to go solo and apply myself. There’s no limit to how hard I will fight for what she deserves

Needcoffeeimmediatley Fri 10-May-19 22:23:29

Definitely sounds like they have angry utter wankers.
I hope you get it sorted soon

KisstheTeapot14 Mon 13-May-19 12:27:55

EmCharlie I am applying just now too. I have had my fair share of delays too from school. Almost took him out. PM me if you want moral support x

Emcharlierush Mon 13-May-19 19:29:15

@Needcoffeeimmediately YEP! Hit the nail on the head there.
@KisstheTeapot14 Good luck with your application! I can totally relate to nearly taking your child out. Definitely up for moral support!! Thank you x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »