Talk

Advanced search

WISC V - extremely low processing speed

(7 Posts)
BabyMommaDec2012 Fri 12-Apr-19 18:07:41

Hi there- I got the results for my DS’s (6) WISC V test today. He came out at average or high average for everything expect processing speed. He’s a very bright boy but he’s been struggling at school (exceeding at reading, not meeting expectations for maths and writing). His profile helps to explain that he’s good and working things out in his head and verbalising answers. However, translating his knowledge on written form is a struggle (he hates writing!).

Does anyone have a children with a similar profile? Could you tell me the types of interventions they put in place at school to help your child?

BabyMommaDec2012 Sat 13-Apr-19 09:48:54

Bump...

LIZS Sat 13-Apr-19 09:58:48

Extra time in exams and assessments. He may be eligible a scribe or laptop if writing down his thoughts is a problem. However you are some time away from needing this. Was Working Memory assessed? If that is also low he may need visual prompts or written instructions to help him carry through a task in class and focus or to remember the order of doing things like getting ready in the morning.

BabyMommaDec2012 Sat 13-Apr-19 11:07:25

Thanks so much for responding LIZS. He got high average for Verbal Comprehension and Fluid Reasoning and average for Working Memory (103) and Visual Spatial. The processing speed came out at 63. He’s was going to have further tests/assessments for adhd and autism anyway but this extremely low score definitely indicates that there’s a underlying problem for the poor listening/attention behaviour that he displays.

As it’s the school hols, the school won’t have received the results yet (I asked to be told first). I was just wondering what types of things might be put in place to help him. He’s currently 6 and in yr1.

Ellie56 Sat 11-May-19 11:37:04

Our son had 1:1 support who would repeat or rephrase instructions in simpler terms and keep him on task.

Instead of being told what to do, he found it easier if instructions were visual or he was shown what to do. The good teachers would provide visual aids to support their teaching and help DS's understanding.

Didn't the test results for your son come with a report highlighting the difficulties and recommendations to address these?

BabyMommaDec2012 Mon 13-May-19 19:40:48

Thanks Ellie56 - no, the report said that it’s likely that he would struggle to get the information in his head written down... but that’s it! The only other advice was about Improving his pencil grip and handwriting. He already has 1-1 support for written work as he struggles to focus on class and doesn’t like writing. There was no advice about (for eg) using timers as a visual aid to let him know how long writing tasks should last or presenting instructions in visual/written form so that hesitant forget what he’s meant to be doing (he’s under investigation for ADHD as he can’t focus very well at school)

BabyMommaDec2012 Mon 13-May-19 19:42:17

*’doesn’t forget’ not ‘hesitant forget’

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »