Talk

Advanced search

What can you do if ideal school is too far away and can't board or move?

(2 Posts)
springintoaction Sun 24-Mar-19 13:17:19

Slightly random I know but we're thinking ahead to secondary. Ds is 8 and out of school (ASD, gifted, explosive and excluded a lot. EOTAS currently as agreed no school in Devon can meet needs)

Swalcliffe Park School looks like it was made for boys like him and potentially is a great option for secondary but it's 2.5hrs away. We can't move due to work and our other children's commitments and lives and boarding wouldn't be appropriate at 11 (there's some attachment issues bubbling under the surface too). He might manage boarding in the latter half of secondary but who knows.

So what can you do if you can't move and the child can't board and LEA know there is no other option? A friend said they had heard of an LEA paying for accommodation like a bolt hole for a parent and child rather than paying for boarding but I don't know if it's true? 5 hours a day in a taxi is definitely too much!

Luxuryhandwash Sat 06-Apr-19 12:18:20

A parent at my sons school was put up with her DS but only for a term. Basically he was boarding and an incident occurred which effected his own saftety and that of others and this was agreed as the middle ground whilst an alternative was found. I think you’ll have an uphill struggle to get this paid for long term, but I suppose worth a go!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: