Talk

Advanced search

Ehc plan query

(4 Posts)
eggsandwich Tue 05-Mar-19 21:04:46

My ds is 18 nearly 19 and is due to transition from his special school to a college placement.

Now my dh and myself have today met with the echp coordinator to go through some of the changes we want to his draft copy of his plan.

We have requested our local college for him to continue his life skills course/education and asked for it to be named on his plan as it was currently left blank.
Now I was under the impression that a college placement had to be named on the plan, but the coordinator said you don’t have to have the college named it can remain blank.

Please tell me she’s wrong as not having our preferred college named for him they could surely end up sending him anywhere.

spader1987 Tue 05-Mar-19 22:45:17

This is always left blank on the draft copy of the ehcp to give you the opportunity to name your preferred college. If agreed your preferred college must be on the final plan.

'The local authority must notify the child’s parent or the young person that during this period they can request that a particular school or other institution, or type of school or other institution, be named in the plan. The draft plan must not contain the name of the school, maintained nursery school, post-16 institution or other institution or the type of school or other institution to be attended by the child or young person'

If you go to page 171 of the below document (sen code of practice) and start at point 9.77 and read to 9.94 it explains your legal rights for the entire process.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/send-code-of-practice-0-to-25

spader1987 Tue 05-Mar-19 22:46:03

Sorry about the lack of paragraphs, mn doesn't like my phone!

eggsandwich Tue 05-Mar-19 23:21:14

Many thank I will look at that.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »