Advanced search

Our SN area is not a substitute for expert advice. While many Mumsnetters have a specialist knowledge of special needs, if they post here they are posting as members, not experts. There are, however, lots of organisations that can help - some suggestions are listed here. If you've come across an organisation that you've found helpful, please tell us. Go to Special needs chat, Parents with disabilities, SN teens, SN legal, SN children, SN recommendations.


(3 Posts)
icecreamvan Thu 30-Nov-17 14:48:09

My son still has a statement. We're going through the process for transferring to an EHCP. He's never had an IEP.

Ipsea have just told me that he should always have had one.

We're having troubles with school and the statement is useless - its never been updated at all. There is nothing to protect my son from the things that he is now going through.

Ipsea say he must have an IEP put in place until the EHCP is done.

Is this something that legally must be done? Will the Senco be able to refuse. Denial and refusal are her usual approach.

Tissie Thu 30-Nov-17 23:39:38

If your son has a statement it must be reviewed annually and your views must be recorded. If you are unhappy contact the LEA special needs directly and ask for an immediate review. Also check on the timing of change to an EHCP.
The rules on IEPs have changed over the last few years but tends to be dependent on the local authority. Some demand it, some don't. The expectation is that there will be records of interventions and regular monitoring of progress. It strikes me that you need to move higher up. Find out who your named local education officer is and ring/email. Ask her to see her. Write a letter of complaint to the head and copy it to the chair of governors. Good luck.

icecreamvan Fri 01-Dec-17 22:59:55

I will be doing this. Thank you.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: