Talk

Advanced search

How far behind?

(4 Posts)
Marmitemadmummy Wed 18-Oct-17 11:40:59

My child is 1.5 years behind their peers at school in maths and English. What help should they be getting please? Just wondering what I should be asking for.

Tainbri Wed 18-Oct-17 12:49:04

You probably need to book an appointment with your school's Senco and ask exactly that question. How old it your child?

Marmitemadmummy Wed 18-Oct-17 13:19:23

Child is 11 and in year 6. I am pushing with SENCO but have been told before they are not far enough behind to get extra help. However a year and a half seems a lot to me. Thanks

Tainbri Wed 18-Oct-17 21:40:30

I would keep on it, but unfortutnately the way the system works means kids have to "prove to fail" before support is offered and it's likely to be more like three years behind before they take notice sad obviously some schools are better than others, so have a conversation with the Senco about strategies they can put in place. An educational psychologist assessment could be useful, especially if you suspect something like dyslexia/dyscalculia but you may have to look at going private if the school doesn't think your DC warrants it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: