Advanced search

Our SN area is not a substitute for expert advice. While many Mumsnetters have a specialist knowledge of special needs, if they post here they are posting as members, not experts. There are, however, lots of organisations that can help - some suggestions are listed here. If you've come across an organisation that you've found helpful, please tell us. Go to Special needs chat, Parents with disabilities, SN teens, SN legal, SN children, SN recommendations.

Advice please - Depressed child, unsympathetic teacher.

(3 Posts)
JamesAndTheGiantBanana Wed 22-Mar-17 14:45:04

DS is 9, mild asd. His teacher is unsympathetic to the asd and takes outbursts personally. She won't change her lesson plan or do anything to make his life easier. He doesn't have a statement, just an ed psych report. He's always in trouble for silly avoidable things, and he's so sad he cries nearly every day after school because he's held it together through the day.

We moved schools in Sept as this one was supposed to be better, but it was a mistake. All his teacher cares about is being seen as strict, and she sees him as a hindrance. She ignores him if he has his hand up or calls her name, leading him to ask her if she was deaf, and then he got in even more trouble.

I asked for an appointment to discuss his issues and get some advice yesterday and she just said "you can make an appointment but I don't know what to do with him either" and that seemed to be the end of that, like no research would be done, nothing attempted...

I wonder if she has any asd training at all because she doesn't seem to have a clue. What should I do? Who can I get advice off? I don't want to go straight to the head before I've considered things carefully. Ds wants to move classes (apparently she'd like this too as she regularly threatens him with it) but I don't even know if there's any room in any other classes.

Tainbri Wed 22-Mar-17 21:12:36

Does your school have a senco? They must have a policy for dealing with Sen! Ask to see it. You should go to the head if the teacher is being dismissive and isn't making any adjustments. Keep a diary of your sons days so you have good records if you need to take matters higher.

FrayedHem Sat 25-Mar-17 16:54:07

I'd either ask for an appointment with the SENCo and the class teacher or just go straight to the Head. The teacher’s response really isn't ok. If she doesn't know what to do she needs to ask for help from the SENCo etc not just do nothing.

Btw If you post in SN Chat or SN Children you'll likely get more replies.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: