Advanced search

Our SN area is not a substitute for expert advice. While many Mumsnetters have a specialist knowledge of special needs, if they post here they are posting as members, not experts. There are, however, lots of organisations that can help - some suggestions are listed here. If you've come across an organisation that you've found helpful, please tell us. Go to Special needs chat, Parents with disabilities, SN teens, SN legal, SN children, SN recommendations.

ehcp independent school

(10 Posts)
2munchkins Sun 22-Jan-17 21:44:16

My dc has been offered a place at an independent mainstream school who have requested an ehcp in place for a TA. Has anyone had experience of whether it is possible to get a TA paid for by LA if we pay school fees. Our child is currently going through process of application for ehcp in State school.

Duckanddrake Mon 23-Jan-17 08:38:50

I think you would need to prove a case as to why the independent school can meet the needs and the state one can't. I don't think it would be easy and in all honesty you might need to seek professional legal advice. Presumably you've still got to get the EHCP? Will the independent take your child without one? Presumably they would still take him/her but you would be expected to pay for the TA on top?

2munchkins Mon 23-Jan-17 09:17:37

Yes, I still need to get the ehcp and school will not offer place without one with a TA. I am hoping that it is possible to get just the TA part paid for by LA if plan agreed but don't know if feasible - perhaps with a personal budget.

Toomuchginger Mon 23-Jan-17 09:22:24

Following with interest

Duckanddrake Mon 23-Jan-17 14:09:58

I suppose potentially, if they think you're saving them money in the long run then maybe and you can use the transport lever too, which depending on where the nearest school they deem suitable is, could save them money too. You might want to consider calling the. IPSEA helpline for better advice on personal budgets, there should be a section about it on their website. My son goes to an independent, but it's specialist, not mainstream and I do know parents who are paying whilst negoitiating with the authority to fund. If your child is already there it can sometimes help as you can use it as a "look how well they're doing" or " it's too unsettling to move" case with the LA once you're in the door. Obviously your priority is to get the EHCP and should they agree to issue a draft I would seek professional advice in getting the wording right.

2munchkins Mon 23-Jan-17 22:10:49

duckanddrake - thanks will contact IPSEA. The Independent school is very close but state schools not much further. As you say will have to concentrate on EHCP and if we get that consult re personal budget to possibly fund TA.

Patapouf Tue 24-Jan-17 17:22:40

It depends on which county you are in. Some local authorities will not include TA support in the plan at all unless it has been specified by their educational psychologist.

Funding is done differently for different counties, meaning that money for TA support is a definite no. if you are agreeing to fund the school the LA will be happy to name it but hat won't necessarily give you leverage for additional funding.

The EHCP process is 20 weeks from when they acknowledge your application, if you don't get it in soon you will not have a final document in time for September.

2munchkins Wed 25-Jan-17 09:12:27

Application is in - not sure what our LA policy is on funding but believe it might be negotiable. Long way to go before we get that far in the meantime DC is falling behind very noticeably.

Calmed Mon 06-Feb-17 21:11:55

I thought I remembered coming across shared funding arrangement info - tried to find it and came across this:

If you can get his EHCP to state x hours one to one which matches what your preferred school seek, then as long as you can come up with wording that protects the LA from having to pay for the fees (I believe they worry for instance that in the future you'll say you no longer can pay for the fees and will say the LA will have to pay them as your child is settled - I think I recall reading somewhere that one parent set up a trust fund in advance to ensure the fees were secure) then it's cost neutral to the LA. Key is to get them to agree the x hours one to one in the first place.

Good luck with the EHC plan.

2munchkins Fri 10-Feb-17 10:59:28

Calmed - thank you - yes need to get them agree the hours in the first place and hopefully we can convince them that if we pay the fees school is best for her needs. Trust fund sounds like a good idea. That article is useful and shows it is possible but probaby depends on LA.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: