Advanced search

Our SN area is not a substitute for expert advice. While many Mumsnetters have a specialist knowledge of special needs, if they post here they are posting as members, not experts. There are, however, lots of organisations that can help - some suggestions are listed here. If you've come across an organisation that you've found helpful, please tell us. Go to Special needs chat, Parents with disabilities, SN teens, SN legal, SN children, SN recommendations.

Help finding Autism specialist primary education in the UK

(1 Post)
EdwardBear1920 Sat 14-Jan-17 12:59:09

Posting for help on behalf of a friend. They're the parent of a primary-aged child who has complex autism: little functional speech and a need for specialist schooling. The friend is British, and the child is a citizen, but has been living abroad all the child's life. Purely for the sake of the child's education, which isn't suitable where they are, they want to move back to the UK.

My friend wants their child to get a good, autism-tailored education, and will move anywhere in the U.K. that could provide it. They've asked me for advice but all I can say is my own experiences. Does anyone on the thread know of a part of the UK where there will definitely be a place at a good unit for their child? Or of any private schools that cater specifically for autistic primary aged children? Or of any resources that could help them find a good school place in the U.K.?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: