Advanced search

Our SN area is not a substitute for expert advice. While many Mumsnetters have a specialist knowledge of special needs, if they post here they are posting as members, not experts. There are, however, lots of organisations that can help - some suggestions are listed here. If you've come across an organisation that you've found helpful, please tell us. Go to Special needs chat, Parents with disabilities, SN teens, SN legal, SN children, SN recommendations.

Educational Psychologist assessment

(5 Posts)
Canshopwillshop Fri 06-Nov-15 12:09:31

My DS is nearly 9 and was diagnosed with dyspraxia when he was 5. He struggles with his reading and writing, coordination and speech. The school have said he is 'at risk' for dyslexia but they are not able to diagnose it at this stage as it could just be a developmental problem. They are keeping an eye on him but no further testing is planned.

I think that there is something else going on which is hindering his progress and although the school does provide some extra help for him, I feel he needs more. We recently visited the secondary school our DD (and eventually DS) will go to next September and I was a bit alarmed when the Head revealed how many children arrive with problems that have not been identified at primary level. The secondary school runs tests on all children who come to them with below average results and it is usually at this stage that the problem is picked up. I think that's a bit late!

So, I am looking into getting DS assessed privately but not sure how to go about it. Should I go for an Educational Psychologist or a Dyslexia Assessment? Do I need to tell the school I am doing it? Worried about how the school will react if an assessment reveals a problem - do they have to act on the report if it's something I have asked for privately?

Thanks for any help or advice.

GruntledOne Sun 08-Nov-15 10:08:31

It sounds as if you may need more than a dyslexia assessment, so an educational psychologist is probably the way to go. If you have a local branch of the Dyslexia Association with a helpline, they might be able to suggest someone.

GruntledOne Sun 08-Nov-15 10:08:54

Forgot to say - you'd probably get more replies on the SEN children board.

Canshopwillshop Sun 08-Nov-15 21:53:30

Thanks Gruntled.

wheresthebeach Thu 10-Dec-15 09:07:47

We did a private Ed Psych for DD as school dismissed concerns and put me down as a pushy Mum. Letter to the Ed Psych was so dismissive they actually offered me my deposit back!

Ed Psych then showed dyslexia and processing speeds at a level that meant DD gets 25% extra time. Primary school continued to ignore it all saying you don't seem to understand the levels that some of the children are working at. Your DD is doing very well without help. I had to stop myself from screaming 'without help??' as I was working daily with her on spelling, and we had a dyslexia tutor for her. Extra time was given to children without any Ed Psych or suspected issues (one of DD's friends got extra time and her Mum phoned me to ask why!).

So..yes they can ignore it but they aren't suppose to. Up to you about hard you want to fight to make them sit up and take notice. For us we gave up with Primary as Ed Psych was done in Yr 6 so we didn't have much time left. The school will have to fill in a report so they will know before hand that you are doing it.

However, we did base secondary school decisions on the level of support offered, and interest taken, in DD's needs. We were keen to avoid another school that was tick boxing her through as she was doing okay academically.

So long and short of it? Get the report so you know what areas your DS needs help in to reach his potential and force the issue with the school as you've a couple more years there.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: