Advanced search

Our SN area is not a substitute for expert advice. While many Mumsnetters have a specialist knowledge of special needs, if they post here they are posting as members, not experts. There are, however, lots of organisations that can help - some suggestions are listed here. If you've come across an organisation that you've found helpful, please tell us. Go to Special needs chat, Parents with disabilities, SN teens, SN legal, SN children, SN recommendations.

EHC Plan and home education

(5 Posts)
NettleTea Fri 09-Jan-15 17:01:11

Just wondering if anyone has done an EHC plan whilst home educating. My 14 year old daughter has a physical illness and probably a neurological issue too. She is currently home educated but plans to return to further education at 16 to study a vocational course, so the plan would be useful for that, and also potentially for any exams which she might do prior to that.

I know that people HAVE done this, I am just trying to track them down for some advice!

senvet Fri 09-Jan-15 21:57:32

I'm sorry I just have grapevine stuff.

The problem I heard of once was that the LA named a school, and when the Tribunal endorsed it then the child had to go there. When they refused to send her there, they were threatened with an order to produce their child at school.

BUT since that case, they have started Ofsted stuff for home ed, so if you have a track record of being found to provide good education then you could go for it. I have heard of some home edders wanting SALT and OT provided alongside home ed, but they settled for NHS blocks of therapy rather than the weekly therapy they might have got via an appeal for fear of being forced to go into school.

So it is all in the timing now to get the EHCP for college...

Fingers crossed some home edders come forward

manishkmehta Sat 10-Jan-15 22:23:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

senvet Sat 10-Jan-15 22:33:49

Just seen on another thread that you can have Home Ed with detailed EHC Plans
I'll see if I can get that poster over to this thread

senvet Sat 10-Jan-15 22:42:53

Sorry, nettle - I couldn't see the poster, bit tired to wade through it all, but I have started a new conversation on the child tab 'chat about your child' so I am hoping that will help find the info you need.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: